RCH 250 Quad Maiden Flight

Tony

Staff member
I know you all have been waiting for it, and it's finally here. The maiden flight of the Rc-Help 250 Quadcopter! I can't lie though, I did have 4 hovers prior to this. First, check to make sure it's going to fly. Second, check camera for jello. Third, hard mount camera, repeat second. Fourth, after balancing props, check jello again soft mounted.

I'm running the Mobius Action Camera on this quad, and it's working great. It was overcast today, and the camera is giving great video.

As for the quad, there is some wobbling in it that I need to take care of, but I will do that in a later video. As for right now, this thing flies, and even on a 2200 pack, it's quick. Can't wait to get the 1300 packs on it to lighten it up, a LOT lol.

Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/8OhgH7-CMK8

Tony

Staff member
Yea, pretty good for my first quad setup and flight. It will get better as I learn the system.

Stambo

Nice job Tony.
A lot of the wobble is to do with the self level.
Once you start to fly acro, there's that word again, a lot of that will go away.
What flight controller are you using, I assume you are flying on pretty much default PIDs?

That looks like a awesome place for some FPV learning and practice.
That's when the real fun begins. :D

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, that is what I was thinking as well. This is a completely stock setup on a CC3D Open Pilot board. Just wanted to see if it would work well enough to do the build videos on.

Lee

Did you use the ZMR250 stock set up file in the vehicle wizard?
It looks real good for stock settings.
Tuning really needs to be done in manual once you get use to it.
I gain looks a little high, but work in the P gain first then see how the I gain feels.
Welcome to the club. :)

Tony

Staff member
Actually I used the QAV250 setup seems to work quite well. I am going to try and get the build and setup video done today. But first, I have to take his Danm phone back. Note 2 is great, note 4, way too much cap on it. And it's not running all of my apps. Ah well, it was worth a try.

Derek

That was cool, Tony! Nice job! Your "Mobius"....is that the wide angle or not? I've been wanting to get a Mobius (or two) but I'd prefer the wide angle lens. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of stock EVERYWHERE, LOL. If I have to settle for the non-wide angle, then so be it.

Tony

Staff member
This one is the standard lens. The wide angle has the lens sticking out of the case. However, you can get the wide angle lens for $35 most places. I ordered mine from ebay, where I got all of the quad stuff. Even the horizon stuff came off ebay. I'm liking the mobius, great picture.

Lee

Try the ZMR250 settings, I found them very close to perfect.
Derek, if you can't find the wide angle camera, maybe you can just buy the narrow one, and the wide lens separately?

Tony

Staff member
I tried the ZMR250, and it kept diving to the left or right, causing a crash. Put the QAV back into it, and it has the wobble, but it's controllable. quad build video is done. Next up, FPV video and fine tuning.

Tony

Staff member
Well, I just couldn't let this day pass me by. 5-10mph winds, sun shining bright, and I really wanted to test out those new batteries. I thought about sticking on all of the FPV stuff and having some fun, but I figure, one thing at a time. And I have to say, this 1300 battery is much more peppy than the 2200's lmao. This thing is quick as hell. Going to love putting the other camera on there and having some fun.

However, the wobble is getting worse. It's not falling out of the air, but it's pretty bad. I will upload a video shortly showing what it's doing. Pretty hard to hold in a hover. Any ideas?

Lee

Thats seems to be I gain wobble.
Looks like you need to drop it down.
The video Stambo put up is a great reference.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah thanks to lee, that is what I was thinking. Now I just need to get into the program and find this setting lol.

Tony

Staff member
Went out and had about 6 different flights trying to dial this thing in. One thing is for sure, I love the TxPID function. However, I was able to make the issue MUCH WORSE, but nothing made it better. I adjusted both the P and I gains (Left the D alone since I'm flying in Atti mode right now for testing) and no matter how low I went, it was still wagging. Not sure what is going on.

I did find out if I go into rate mode, it's a LOT more fun lol.

Time to set down and play with it some more when the battery charges back up... Err... might have to wait for another day. We have severe storm heading in. Dammit, I want this thing to fly sweet NOW!!! lmao. Oh how I want to just stick the FPV gear on there!!!

Top Bottom