General Rc Trainer Complete

Mike Mais

I have been working on my RC Trainer now for about a month & finished it today. Off to the field in the morning for the maiden weather permitting. Here in north-central Florida, we are on the south side of what is left of hurricane Sally. Some wind but rain on & off all day.
100_4354.JPG 100_4355.JPG 100_4356.JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Looks awesome. You must fly at, "On Top Of The World Communities" off 200? I'm down south from you about 20 min to the world communities. Don't forget about the maiden, :voidh:

Tony

Staff member
That plane looks awesome! Definitely would like to see the maiden video of this plane!

Mike Mais

Hope to maiden now on Tuesday. Took it to the field yesterday & had the skewers to hold the wing on to far under. This caused the foam to fold on the edge a little,& rather than do more damage I did not fly. I have fixed the problem & will be back Tuesday.

Fly-n-Low

What was you fix? The rubbers on mine were biting the foam a bit on mine, so I just used popsicle sticks and or tongue depressors. Looks like you have the popsicle sticks already?

I build all of my rubber band attached wings like that now.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Definitely a good idea to use some bracing where the rubber bands go over the wing. Especially if you are using strong rubber bands. And I would also double up the foam where the skewers go through, or drill a hole in a tongue depressor and use that to strengthen the hole.

Mike Mais

My wing folded up over the small section of the body. I had sticks front & back but did not help the back. If you look at the picture where the pen tip is pointing this folded up.
100_4387.JPG

Tony

Staff member
I have heard of others having an issue with these wings folding, but I have never had a wing fold. Not even under high G loads. And it puzzles me every time wondering why. Hopefully not too much damage.

Mike Mais

What caused it was the hole location for the skewer was too far forward. I moved it back to just behind the wig & it worked. I had one of the instructors fly it Sat. to get it tuned in. Now I have to build a better landing gear & hope to fly Thur.

Tony

Staff member
Landing gear? lol. I have never put on gear on this plane and just belly landed it. But I have always been in tall(ish) grass as well. Definitely do what you like on the plane. That is the best thing about the PDF planes, you can modify them and try new things!

Fly-n-Low

I did have one of mine that did that. Or it started too. This one did it when I made it with flaps and the wing was cut right at the fuse, like your ailerons do. I did something like you did except didn't have room under and had to do it on top (not as pretty). Looks like you have a handle on it.

Fly-n-Low

The other twin doesn't have flaps. Set up for flapperons. Also having a bit of meat on the inside of its wing, it doesn't have that problem. Maybe not run full length ailerons?

Attachments

• 20200929_180717[1].jpg
    20200929_180717[1].jpg
    377 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200929_180900[1].jpg
    20200929_180900[1].jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 4

Mike Mais

My suggestion is to cut the ailerons about 1" shorter then the marked plans to give you more area for the rubber bands.

Tony

Staff member
Which version are we working on here? The first post looks like the V1, the V3 is a better version with better CoG and I believe I cut the ailerons out a bit from the fuse. In fact, you can cut the ailerons right where they are with the flaps, and not put flaps on the wing.

I will try to do a V4 that has a better wing design as the old KFM is an outdated design now, but is strong with the right foamboard and proper amount of glue. Guess I need to fire up the program again lol.

RandyDSok

If you are concerned about little crinkles and folds... or general sturdiness ( and if I'm trolling, looks in general :D )... then I suspect foam is not something for you. Even balsa has issues when rubber bands are used to hold down a wing, with foam it should be expected even more.

If you want a perfect finish and strong structure... you want fiberglass. The biggest downsides are the weight and how much work is involved working with it. Balsa is much lighter and pretty easy to work with. It may require some thin plywood in certain parts to give it more strength and still keep the weight down but it is capable of a pretty nice finish if not quite as nice as fiberglass. Foam is inexpensive option for construction but it has never been known for it's strength or finish... it's just adequate at best in some cases but shouldn't be expected to be perfect.

Top Bottom