RC Sailplane Pilot In Training

D.Berry

I am a new RC pilot in training, and will be assembling components for my Bixler 2 kit over the next few months, and hope to start flying by late Spring.

In some of the Bixler 2 internet conversation strings, I am reading about the inferior parts of Bixler 2 kits, e.g., control horns, clevis pins, motor mount, etc., and need some help with selection.

- Pushrod / Clevis Pins: The Bixler 2 metal pushrods are 1.16mm / .046" in diameter, and I have read repeatedly that HobbyKing (HK) clevis pins are NOT very sturdy, and that the control horns are junk as well.

PROBLEM: I've been scouring the internet for the last several hours, and cannot find clevis pins that that fit threaded metal pushrods of 1.16mm.
QUESTION: Do I buy clevis pins that fit 2mm pushrods, that's the smallest size I can find, and just use a lot of super glue gel, and then cover the pushrod to clevis pin junction with heat shrink tubing?

- Control Horns: Need recommendations for control horns, and URL for purchase.

- Rattle Can Paint for EPO Foam: Just want to use 2 high vis colors (blk / yell). Recommendations for brands needed. Don't want to melt my Bixler 2. LOL

- Servos: This is my first RC aircraft, don't want to break the bank, but don't want break the plane due to mechanical failure either, and I want to eventually use this Bixler 2 for FPV as well. Since I will be gluing the elevator and rudder servos inside the fuselage, am I spending too much by buying Hitec HS-65HB's? https://www.servocity.com/html/hs-65hb_mighty_feather.html#.VpMN-jZlnyl

For aileron and flaps, I was think of going with the HS-53 servos. Thoughts on these selections? https://www.servocity.com/html/hs-53_servo.html#.VpMOlDZlnyk

- Wing Covering Film: Monokote vs UltraCote?

Admiral

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure the parts on the Bixler are adequate for a beginner, the comments you read probably came from people who push the Bixler to the max, over the years I've seen many new pilots bring out new planes with all the latest and greatest gear on them because they have read how it will fly better, only to smash them due to inexperience. Not saying that you shouldn't do it or the forums are wrong, just saying you should take all you read in context including my comments.

Have fun with the Bixler, I would recommend a good Flight Simulator while your waiting for the weather, they do make a big difference.

Smoggie

+1 on previous post. I'd be careful taking every comment you see in build threads on face value. While I'm sure the hardware supplied with the Bixler is far from 'gold standard' I'm sure it will do the job. Just take care on installing clevises not to break the pins off by being ham-fisted.

As for servos....if glued in use double sided tape or a type of glue that allows the servos to be removed if you have to. The servos you linked are decent enough (though nothing special) but for me for a low cost foamy trainer rather over priced. Hobbyking has plenty of servos that are perfectly good enough as much lower cost. Something like the Hextronic MG14 and/or HXT900. End of the day this is a low cost foamy trainer, no point in doubling it's cost with higher price servos.

- - - Updated - - -

PS.. on the the question
Wing Covering Film: Monokote vs UltraCote?

You don't cover the wings, they are solid foam and need no covering. Monocote type covering is mainly for balsa (wooden) planes.

Tony

Staff member
And using an iron on foam is not a good idea. Could melt it. If you want to change the color, use a water based paint, but it will make the airframe heavier.

D.Berry

Really appreciate the quick responses, and feedback from Tony, Admiral, and Smuggle. Your advice is duly noted.

FYI: Regarding my wing covering question, I know that heat shrinkable plastic films are traditionally used for built up wings, and I used it years ago when I was flying u-control wings, and my RC Hobie Hawk sailplane was covered in MonoKote as well, but I was thinking of covering the EPO foam wings of the Bixler 2 with a thin film, in order to give the foam wing more torsional rigidity, better wind penetration, and strengthen the pressed foam flap hinges. So, your advice about damaging the EPO from wings is duly noted, and considering this is my first RC sailplane in years, and a powered one at that, then when considering your collective advice, I should probably just give the foam wings a high visibility rattle can paint job instead (-with a protective base coat of aerosol shellac).

Thanks again...

Top Bottom