Cars RC Nissan 350Z

Stambo

I just resurrected my old Nissan 350z RC car.
It was a cheapy I got given many years ago that decided to stop working when I hooked a 3s to it. :)
The original battery had died, it went really well for a while though.
My son has been pushing it around the house just as a toy.
I ripped the original electronics out of it so that all that's left is the brushed motor.
I got a $7 brushed ESC from HK, a cheapy 9g servo and a 2.4ghz rx I had lying around and went to work.
Some hot glue, solder and heatshrink later I once more have a working 350z.
It runs off my T9x as I don't have another car TX to use for it.
This thing is fast, I have dialed it down to 50%, this may help the motor last a bit longer too.
When I have my son this weekend I will put it back in his room and wait until he starts playing with it.
Can you imagine his surprise when it takes off on him.
Should be fun. :)

On a down side, the cheap speed controller does not have reverse.
Is there any reason why I can not hook another brushed ESC with the motor wires reversed.
If I leave the brake off on both and have it so that the top half of the stick goes forward and the bottom half reverse.
Maybe a low top limit on the reverse ESC so it can't go insanely fast in reverse.
I think I may just try it, if I put a fuse in one so that it pops if something goes wrong.

The only thing I can think of that may upset my plan is if the positive only is controlled by the ESC and the negative is straight through. I will have to test that when I get home after work.
In that case I may need a couple of mini crossover relays and a receiver controlled switch.

Maybe I should just spend the money and buy a reversible brushed ESC.
Problem is finding one small enough to fit that will run 3s.

Just realized my next post will be 1000. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom