Prop Rc-Help Trainer Testing Thread

Tony

Staff member
As promised, I am starting the build of the new RCH Trainer. While building it, I had some thoughts come to me, and I have already modified the fuselage to try and combat this nose heavy issue that seems to plague this plane. I'm also going to be building different wings for it to see what the characteristics are of each as requested from the members. I'm also going to try to incorporate a servo tray inside the plane to get them off the tail. And, I will be adding a battery mount to make it easier to load and unload a battery.

If any of you have any suggestions that you would like to see on this plane, post them in this thread. I will be doing a lot of work, and I'm sure I will end up building about 5 of these planes by the time I'm done. Once all testing is done, I will be coming up with the RCH Trainer V3.

In the store, there is a link to the right to download these plans. Would you guys like to have a version 1, version 2 and so on available for download, or just stick with the latest version?

Your input counts so lets hear it!

HK500GT 2.jpg

HK500GT 2.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Version 2 Wing kfm3

I just built my first wing that I designed thanks to suggestions from Lee with the folded over leading edge. I have to say, I LOVE this wing. It's stronger and the leading edge is MUCH cleaner. The first wing that I'm going to put on this plane is just a straight wing, but I will also be building one with dihedral built into it. About 7º worth for the beginner pilots and to figure out flight characteristics.

There are some errors on the plans though with this wing that I will be addressing. I should have known better lol. On the plans, I state to cut a strip of paper from the foam so that you can fold it over without creasing it. This section needs to be the width of about 3 sheets of paper, NOT what I have on the plans. So make that strip about an inch wide, maybe a little less, for it to work correctly.

But all in all, I like the wing. So much cleaner, even with my knife skills, and for a new builder that doesn't have the steady hand, it makes the leading edge look flawless.

If you have suggestions on the wing, post them up.

Tony

Staff member
Version 2 Fuselage

In the plans, no matter what changes I have made to them, the fuselage has stayed the same. Well that's no more. I'm going to be coming out with a new set of plans with a brand new, easier to build fuselage.

With 4 separate pieces, it can get a little difficult to build this plane. I'm going to incorporate all of the pieces into one piece, and all that will be required is to cut a V notch where the lines are and fold it over and glue it. Everything will line up the way it should. This alone should cut build time down quite a bit.

I'm also changing the length of the fuse. On the new plans, I extended the nose to combat the tail heavy issue and it just looks ugly IMO. Also, the plane will no longer fit on a 20x30 sheet of foamboard without putting it at an angle. and lets face it, when you put it at an angle, you end up wasting a LOT of foamboard. So this fuse is going to be made a bit smaller, but with the same wing.

The new design will make the fuse a little more narrow and not as tall, but still just as strong if not stronger.

If you have suggestions on the fuselage, post them up.

EyeStation

Looking forward to the new one Tony. As for the Down Loads, I only need your final version posted. I'll keep up with your challenges till you get it ironed out.
I look forward to the one piece Fuse. And the battery access is a nice addition.
Any further discussion on the screw mount vs rubber bands holding the wing?

Tony

Staff member
YES, I forgot to add that to the above. I was going to have the wife pick me up some more CA, but the LHS was closed when she got up (we both work nights). I plan on doing a video on how to do a bolt on wing which IMO, is MUCH easier to mount than the rubber band wings. Most likely it will be done with some 1/4x1 balsa and 8/32 plastic thumb bolts.

I did go ahead and add the V1 to the store. some people may like that tail, and may still need to know what the side profile of the wing looked like. Also, it has the stock fuselage. It's there if anyone wants to download the first version. I will need to edit it as it does NOT have the cut lines on it. I will be adding those so it's easier to print and cut.

The fuse is going to be nice, you just have to be careful how deep you cut the V groove. It shouldn't go all the way though, in fact, there should be some foam left for the paper to have support when you fold it over. If there is not, you will get a crease in the paper when you press the two sides together to glue them.

I think I will work on this tonight. Speaking of that, I need to replace the batteries in my mouse that I take with me lol. Let me know if you have any other ideas other than the wing. Oh, and I'm also going to show a VERY easy way to line the wing and fuse up for a perfect glue joint!

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I have made the edits to the Version 1 of the trainer file to now include the cut lines. Version 2 has had them all along and it makes cutting so much more simple.

Derek

That's great, Tony! I'm very fond of this plane. On my current RCH Trainer, I added about 1.5oz to the nose. It flew much better today. Still not "great" but much better. Video to come.

Tony

Staff member
1.5 oz? Holy crap, that's a LOT. This new design should take care of that I'm hoping. Still needs flight tests though. The new battery mount should help as well, I'm hoping anyway.

Derek

Do you have the new plans available for download yet? I'd be interested in seeing what you've done.

Tony

Staff member
I have not even started on the new plans. I'm just doing all of this "by the seat of my pants" so to speak. I used the V2 design, and I'm working off of that. I already found something else that I want to modify after I built it that should help out a lot. Just takes testing. My mind is going crazy on this plane again, I love it!

Tony

Staff member
If it works like I think the theory should work, it will solve all of the issues that we are having with this plane. And, with more flights, there will be more information on the plans for setup. And yes, this one is going to have flaps on some of the wings. Multiple wings FTW!!!

Tony

Staff member
Here is a sneak peek at what I'm doing with the plans. The fuse is getting a complete redesign!

trainer.jpg

trainer.jpg

EyeStation

I mounted an inrunner on my first plane and have trouble getting the spinner on far enough with the 8" props. It starts to shake the entire nose around at levels over half stick. 2 layers of birch ply and front mounting screws limit how far I can get the spinner on the shaft.
Is an outrunner the way to go with this plane?

Tony

Staff member
I could have sworn that I updated this thread. I think the forum is eating posts again lol.

The outrunner is easier to mount that's for sure. And you get a bit more torque out of it.

Tony

Staff member
Here is a picture of the servo mount that I have included in the new plans that are now available for download. I have added some plywood under them that is cut to the exact size of these servos. IT's just something more to screw into. This is going to work great, but there is very limited space so had to shorten the arms.

Download the new plans and let me know what you think.

1374544013384.jpg

1374544013384.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Oh, IT'S ON NOW!!!!

I just did some reading on the motor and ESC that I'm running, and found out that I can run them on 4s! Oh, this is going to be SO much fun hehe.

Tony

Staff member
I would if I had my control rods for the rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaps. But, it's still sitting here waiting to be built.

Top Bottom