Prop Rc-Help Trainer... Night Flying Edition

Tony

Staff member
Hello everyone. If you follow Rc-Help.com or you are friends with me on facebook, you have seen this plane. But now, it's time to show all the rest of you guys what I have been working on.

This started out as a simple project to get some flying in when it's not 105 outside, and standing in the sun. But, it turned into a project to see if I could even make it happen. There were a lot of bumps in the road, but it's to the point now where it's ready to test.

To start off with, there are 46 LED's in the wing. 42 blue, two red, and two green. They are all 15,000 MCD LED's, and the pictures don't do it justice. This thing is very bright. Inside the fuse is two cold cathodes that are 12" long. If I crash, these will probably break. But, man does it light up a fuse lol.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything with the tail yet, seeing as there is only a single layer of foam there. I'm pretty sure that I will be able to see it just fine in the sky the way it is lol.

So guys, tell me what you think. It's taken abotu a week to get it wired up and working like I think it should. There will be video very soon with this plane.

IMG_0366.jpgIMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

zapster

That is SICK Tony !!! Wow that foam just glows unbelievable.You have to tell me exactly how u did that i want to do it to the F22 !Yeah huh ?

Tony

Staff member
I just drilled holes in the foam, and mounted LED's. The FF-22 doesn't have enough wing to do that. YOu need atleast double thickness to mount them like I did. But, you can purchase LED strips online and do it. I have thought about it, but have no scratch to do it.

Tony

Staff member
Alright everyone, I took the trainer out for it's maiden Night Flight. I sat here in the house, cut the holes that I needed for the wiring, run all of the wires, and tested everything out. Everything looked great! So, we headed outside.

The wife was doing the filming, and we were prepared for a 10 minute flight. By the end, it would have been almost totally dark. So, She started rolling and I tossed the plane in the air. Teh link below is the unedited video. I just cut the first and last parts off because she was getting ready, then she decided that the ground made a better subject than my plane on the ground lol. Click on the link, and it will open up windows media player and play it in 1080P. It's a .mp4 file, so even apple guys can watch it.

http://rc-help.com/nt.mp4

As you can see, things did not end too well. The motor on the last flight where the camera was looking at the tail just quit, and I couldn't figure out why. Because it started back up when I picked it up. Well, I now know why. The 370 motor is just not quite enough motor for this plane, and I over stressed it. It shorted out some wires inside the motor, and released all of it's magic smoke. I was even able to see some of this magic smoke! and some fire lol. But, the motor is toast and I am looking for a new power upgrade.

I have a couple motors in mind, I just need to get the coin to purchase the motor and the 40a esc. Yes, a 40a esc hahahaha. This motor will do unlimited vertical. So, stay tuned as this is not the last you will see of this plane hehe.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok I could not see the vidio. It had a no sign over the play button. The lights look rad man. COOL!

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I tried to play it on my phone and it gave me the same thing. I need to find the format that apple likes to play, other than Quicktime. But, it was just a short, unedited video of me throwing the plane in the air, Lights looking great, it banks to the right, motor quits, and I fight to land it lol. Its still a wee bit nose heavy, but not as bad as it was. I just need to order this new motor, then I will have all the power that I need, and then some.

Tony

Staff member
I decided to just go ahead and upload it to youtube on my other account. I really need to get in there and clean it out lol. But, this is the flight, or if you can even call it that...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KCVqbN1cfgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
Ha, yeah. When I get the motor that I linked to it will be a lot of fun. Just hope I don't rip the wing off lol

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, bit I have to push the limits of it to know how far I can push it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

Staff member
If you watch the flight where the camera is looking at the tail, the motor cut off. Well I didn't know it, but that was the eend of the motor. And it trashed it's self on this flight. You couldn't see it, bit there was a crapload of smoke lol

Top Bottom