Projects RC Help Trainer, Motor Size

roger5005

Hey Guys:

On the plans for the trainer it says 400-450 Size Motor...I know this is a stupid question, what KV Size.......Can the size of the motor be changed and also the battery?

Thanks

Roger

Derek

I have a Grayson Hobby motor and esc on my trainer. It's a 1000kv motor. I'm not sure what the motor is because im at work right now. It flies pretty well with a 9x5 slo fly prop. I'm gonna put a 10x5 on it and see what happens. When I get home in the morning, I'll get you a link to the motor and esc combo that I'm using.

Tony

Staff member
I need to edit the plans and get that off of there. It seems to be causing a lot of confusion. the motor needs to be about 90-100 grams in weight, spinning about 1000kv on a 3s pack and able to spin a 10x6 prop minimum. I would think something in the 400 watt range would work best. Hope this helps.

Derek

Here is a link to the motor/esc combo that I have on my RCH Trainer

400 / 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor & ESC (GH2212 Series)

The motor is the 2212-13 1000kv. It is quite a bit lighter than what Tony is suggesting and my trainer does fly. Yes, my setup is tail heavy, so I added some washers (58 grams worth) to the inside of the fuselage and it does fly much better on a 9x5 slo fly prop. Now...when I get around to it, I do intend on getting a bigger/heavier motor that is 1000kv so that I can take these washers out and I'll run it that way.

I can't imagine that there is a right or wrong way here because my trainer does fly. However...to get the trainer to fly the way that I want it to fly...it would just be better to have the bigger motor.

Good luck buddy!

Tony

Staff member
That motor is actually made by Suppo, a chinese supplier. It's a great motor for planes that are about 66% of the weight of the RCH Trainer lol. 1400kv is pretty high, but does work. Get you a 10x4.7 prop and it will wake up. 47g is pretty light as well. But, what counts is, if it works, use it. I'm thinking of making another plane and that motor will be PERFECT for it. But, that will come later hehe.

Derek

There are actually two motors listed on that page, Tony! As stated above, I'm using the 1000kv motor. On my trainer, I have two pieces of 1/8" plywood as a firewall and the motor attached to the plywood. Something I was thinking was cutting two more squares, to match the ones on the plane, and mounting that on the plane as well. Not only will it add a bit more weight to the front, but it will also put the motor a bit further away from the CG. I'm just trying to "make due" until I can get a bigger motor. I do have a 10x5 prop and I'm stoked about trying it if/when the flying weather comes back. It got down right cold and windy these last few days. 2.5" of rain, 45mph wind gusts, and then it snowed a bit last night. ugh!!!

roger5005

Hey Guys: I was going to try this motor from Hobby King, Turnigy DST-1200 Brushless Bell Motor 1Spec.
Battery: 2~3 Cell /7.4~11.1V
RPM: 1200kv
Max current: 16A
No load current: 11.1V/0.8A
Weight: 57g
Diameter of shaft: 3mm
Dimensions: 30mmx50.7mm200kv. Do you think this motor combination with a 3S 1000 mah w/ 9x7 sport propeller.........Thanks Roger

Tony

Staff member
With a motor that light, and a battery that light, you will be VERY tail heavy. If you are going to run that motor, I would run a 3000mah 3s just to weigh the nose down a bit.

eekay

Im at the same point of rigging the Trainer with its internals.

Ive gone with a Turnigy D3536/8 1000KV 430W motor, 50A ESC, and Zippy 2200mAh 3S 25C, 10x7 prop.

I noticed that the Turnigy D3536/8 is rated as a 'high performance sport or 3D' motor, Im really hoping it'll work well enough for the trainer, I really can't afford another $20 on shipping plus 1-2 months delivery time for another motor.

Derek

Hey Tony! I would like to come back to this thread and topic. Motor size.

"eekay" is talking about the, above, Turnigy D3536/8 1000KV 430W motor
Turnigy D3536/8 1000KV Brushless Outrunner Motor

Now, I am surely not as experienced as a lot of the members on the forum, but I'm thinking that this motor is a bit much for the RCH Trainer. Am I wrong in thinking that? If I am wrong....please correct me.

On my first Trainer, I was using a 1000KV motor and the plane did fly...just not real well. It wasn't real graceful. I did build a new RCH Trainer and the new one is bigger than my original Trainer because I finally got my printer scaling corrected and it's gorgeous. Still all "white" but it looks great!!!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
You are right, at 102g, that motor is a little heavy. You could put a 14x8 on that motor with no problem lol. The 1000kv is fine with a 10x6 prop as long as you are only pulling 200-300 watts. Or somewhere in that area. I think the motor that I'm using now is 70g, 1300kv and pulling 300w. And that KV makes the plane SCREAM through the air. With teh 1000, it would be a little easier to fly, just be careful on what weight the motor is.

eekay

This trainer flies excellently with the 1000Kv linked above. It's a fairly powerful little motor and I've logged at least two hours flying time with it on Tonys trainer. My current model is grounded due to
beating up the fuse, my own fault for belly landing in a field of canola that's only 3" high. 2200mah 25C 3S batt, 10x7 prop averaging 7 mins flying time. Nothing heats up.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that update, and that is some great flying times for such a large motor. How is the vertical on that setup?

eekay

Not too sure about vertical, my confidence on the sticks isn't quite up there enough to put it through its paces. My in line voltage alarm tends to go off at less then 3.8V per cell in the times I've attempted any acrobatics. Does this mean maybe I need a bigger prop? Bigger motor? Motor type vs. performance is still pretty foggy for me. I've attached a Wattmeter readout of the 1000kv I have at WOT and a 10x7 prop. [video=youtube_share;kNrShLZ88ds]http://youtu.be/kNrShLZ88ds[/video]

Tony

Staff member
22a max that you showed on the watt meter should be just fine with the battery that you are running. When are you doing the aerobatics? Beginning of the flight, or the end of the flight? If at the end of the flight, then your voltage is already low and you are pulling max power through the motor and the servos when doing flips and such.

Top Bottom