EDF Rc Foam Fighters FF-22 Maiden

Tony

Staff member
First post in the EDF section, who'd a thunk it would take this long lol...

Hey everyone. I have had this plane sitting here at the house for a while now. I was short two servos to fly it though. Well, since I know that the trainer flies, I stole the servos from it, and stuck them in here. And man I'm glad that I did.

To start off with, I didn't install the propjet motor. I didn't install it because I didn't own one lol. But, I do own dual 64mm EDF units, so I grabbed the exacto knife, and went to hacking. What you see in this video is the end result.

I was worried about the ESC's and where they were located, and I was right to worry as you will see in the end of the video. But man, I have to give major props to those guys over at Rc Foam Fighters. They designed a GREAT airplane. This one will be going back up again once I move the ESC's around so they can get a little air.

BTW, you can download the plans for FREE!!!

Here is flight #2, or the attempt, and explanation. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Below are the pics of the damage that I explained in the second video above. My poor ESC released all of it's magic smoke, and it no longer has the magic to work... There is a lesson that can be learned from this though. Always put your ESC's in a place where they will get plenty of airflow. If you don't, and you cram them into a tight space like I did, this will be the end result.

I have more ESC's, and this plane will see the sky very soon! And, I'm going with bigger ESC's as well lol. Not because I think it needs them, but because I have them lol. Enjoy!

MagicSmoke005.jpg
MagicSmoke004.jpg
MagicSmoke003.jpg
MagicSmoke001.jpg

MagicSmoke005.jpg

MagicSmoke004.jpg

MagicSmoke003.jpg

Nice maiden flight there Tony sure has some power to it too, and will be better once those ESC's get some cooler air to them!

Ahh I see from the second viddy a new ESC will be needed and she will be soaring the skies again Tony

Edit- Yep thats a nicely burnt out ESC there Tony

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
You know it man. I don't know where the luck came from, but two foamie planes, and two great flying planes. Trainer just needs more motor, and this one needs new ESC's now lol. It's all good though, this plane is getting fixed at this very moment.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Quick second flight you had there Tony. Couldnt the plane fly with one edf?

Tony

Staff member
It could if 1. the EDF was centered or 2. the plane had a rudder. The reason it went to the left is the left EDF is the one that died. Causing it to turn to the left. It was one of those things that I couldn't get my hands on theTx fast enough.

Tony

Staff member
Well, I thought I would have it up and running tonight. The ESC's that I had, are more for a heli, than anything, and I wouldn't even put them on a heli of mine. The slave is unpredictable at best. I hooked my 30a volcano series up to it, and ran one motor, from 50% to 100% for the life of the battery, and with it in the air flow, never got above about 130*F. I can live with that, and it's what I'm going to do. I'm going to order another ESC from hobbypartz, and order my other servos as well so that I can get both planes in the air at the same time. Who knows, if I have a little coin left over, I will even get a higher C battery as this combo is pulling a crapload of amps, and is heating my battery up pretty good.

So, sadly, there will be no flight in the morning. It will be atleast mid next week before anything gets off the ground around here. Nothing but a bunch of broke down heli's and planes lol.

Tony

Staff member
I was using dual 64mm EDF's in this plane. The ESC's were the right size, they just didn't have any air flow and overheated.

Top Bottom