FB Gyro Rate Mode vs Heading Hold Mode Explained

Tony

Staff member
I had a subscriber ask the question, "what is the difference between Heading Hold Mode and Rate mode on a helicopter gyro?". That is when it hit me, I have never explained this on video. So in this video, I explain exactly what Rate Mode is used for, and what Heading hold mode is used for.

Last edited:

Marcello

Thanks for the video Tony. I'm not sure how to program rate or heading mode in my DX8. Since there's no category in the menu that I can see is it by the numbers I input?

Tony

Staff member
anything above 0 is HH mdoe, and anything below 0 (Negatives) is rate mode. On that Tx, start out at about 45 positive.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Cool video Tony. Question, You mention alot of flyers use rate mode for their scale heli. I just finished up my 450 scale heli. Should I change my settings around before I put this bird in the air or just leave it alone? I'm in HH mode right now with gyro @ 28 and throttle curves @ 1) 80% and 2) 85%.

Tony

Staff member
It is all in how you want the helicopter to feel. Rate mode will only stop movement, it will not take it back to where it was, so there will always be drift or movement in the tail. If you want this drift, then use rate. If you want a completely solid tail, then use HH.

Top Bottom