FBL Gyro Raptor 50 Fbl Help Needed

Steve holst

Hi all Rc enthuasiasts ,

I recently had a boom strike with my heli done a fair bit of damage so i obtained a second airframe with fbl swash already on , i didnt have the knoledge or the expertise to transfer everything over and set up ,my lms had sold up with the new buyer planning on opening up a new shop with the same name so he agreed to take this job on ........... after 3 months was told it was finished collected it was told what i needed to on test flight .So got home charged flight battery and started pre flight checks tail servo reversed (Fixed that) gyro reversed (fixed that) now start looking over everything swash plate is set all over the place not level in any direcion it appears everying has just been swopped over tightened up and left as it went in (which i could of done) i have lost trust in the individual now and dont want to take it back .(he didnt charge for what he done just asked me to support the shop when it opens....) so ive decided i will try and learn and do this myself .
I have downloaded the beastx manual and understand the set up procedures, I have ordered a digital pitch gauge is there anything else i need to get ? And is there any links to any setup videos of the swash plate and the servo arm posititions what to adjust ect any help would be greatly apprieciated and i apologise for the essay!
my set up is raptor titan 50 flb , AR7210b , dx9 tx.

Thankyou in advance Steve.

Tony

Staff member
The only other thing that I can think of to get is a swash leveling tool. I believe those helicopters use dual linkages like the Align 600's used to, so you will want to make sure those linkages are exactly the same length and perfectly parallel with each other. From there, it's just a matter of setting it up. Take your time and ask questions. If you have not done so already, check out the article section for some videos and articles that could help on the setup process. We have not done a Raptor, but we have done many others.

Helicopter How To | Rc-Help Forum

Steve holst

The only other thing that I can think of to get is a swash leveling tool. I believe those helicopters use dual linkages like the Align 600's used to, so you will want to make sure those linkages are exactly the same length and perfectly parallel with each other. From there, it's just a matter of setting it up. Take your time and ask questions. If you have not done so already, check out the article section for some videos and articles that could help on the setup process. We have not done a Raptor, but we have done many others.

Helicopter How To | Rc-Help Forum
Thanks for your quick reply yes i saw on one of your videos with a swash leveling tool yes i believe it does use dual linkages which arent the same lenth and parrarel atm will checkout the article section im sure there will be some to help this build Thanks again.

Steve holst

Thanks for your quick reply yes i saw on one of your videos with a swash leveling tool yes i believe it does use dual linkages which arent the same lenth and parrarel atm will checkout the article section im sure there will be some to help this build Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20171118_122319.jpg
    20171118_122319.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20171118_135433.jpg
    20171118_135433.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20171118_135558.jpg
    20171118_135558.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 8

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Steve. If I can put my 2 cent in I would invest in a digital caliper since you have dual linkage. Just a thought.

Tony

Staff member
That is a fantastic suggestion Ivan! Measuring those rods is crucial to get the helicopter setup correctly. Just download the manual and get the linkage lengths and setup it up that way first.

Steve holst

Hey there Steve. If I can put my 2 cent in I would invest in a digital caliper since you have dual linkage. Just a thought.
Thank you for your suggestion and just ordered one it will certainly help getting both the exact same length

Basic procedure for any heli is to start at the servo and work your way up. As mentioned previously, get those parallel servo arms exactly the same length. Get the swash level, I've found the Rohrs swash leveling tool works great for that. I use a compass-like tool which has points at each end to get the distance from ball center to ball center to exactly match. The Rohrs swash leveler gets the swash level relative to the main shaft. If your FBL has any mixing arms, those should be level, as well, lastly, get your digital pitch gauge out and zero it to the frame right in front of the main shaft and you can then perform the fbl setup. The Microbeastx manual can be a bit confusing so read it through a couple of times and post any questions you may have (you can pm me if you'd like) I've got two heli's with MBX and after going through the setup a couple of times, it becomes quite easy. If you're a new pilot, setup with about 7-8 degrees max positive pitch and about -2 to -3 degrees negative (you want some negative so you can bring the heli down if there's a breeze, but that amount of negative pitch wont' slam it into the ground suddenly. Cyclic pitch is OK at about 6 degrees ( don't in MBX setup). You can choose the least sensitive MBX cyclic option or you can use Tx control and tame it down even further. MBX gains should be about at default (MID) . Lastly, you need to pick a headspeed that's not too fast and not too slow. To start you can use about 1800-1900 rpm - too fast makes the heli squirelly, too slow will make it sluggish and might produce tail wag.

Steve holst

Hi there well had a good week at it all set up apart from pitch (still waiting on pitch gauge arriving) but I did set it with a hex driver at mid stick to zero pitch but will check all out when it comes ! Oh and could do with some decent weather as well thanks for help

While you want to setup with zero pitch at mid-stick, you may want to set your pitch curve so that you've got about 4-5 degrees positive pitch at mid-stick. That way you'll hover at just about mid-stick and from mid-stick to max pitch you've got a lot of stick for relatively small amount of pitch change so the heli will be much more docile...again, beginner tip.

murankar

Staff member
Here is my two cents. If you follow the soko heli tool setup videos you won't need a swash leveler, but if you still want to use one then just use zip ties. Tony has a video on how to do that.

Starting at the bottom work tour way up. Make sure your servo arms are as centered as you can get them mechanically first and then sub trim them with the beastx to get as close as you can. Following Ivan's suggestion make sure your links are at factory suggested lengths. Then reset the beastx and start from scratch. It's best to start over and make sure you know everything is done right. If your setup is spot on you won't need to track your blades. They both should be at 0 pitch at mid stick.

Finally make sure all the bolts are thread locked into place.

Steve holst

Here is my two cents. If you follow the soko heli tool setup videos you won't need a swash leveler, but if you still want to use one then just use zip ties. Tony has a video on how to do that.

Starting at the bottom work tour way up. Make sure your servo arms are as centered as you can get them mechanically first and then sub trim them with the beastx to get as close as you can. Following Ivan's suggestion make sure your links are at factory suggested lengths. Then reset the beastx and start from scratch. It's best to start over and make sure you know everything is done right. If your setup is spot on you won't need to track your blades. They both should be at 0 pitch at mid stick.

Finally make sure all the bolts are thread locked into place.

Steve holst

Thanks very much for advice I watched that video and many others I used the zip tie method as swash tool was for wrong shaft but zip tie worked just as good and was free all linkages to manufactures when pitch gauge comes will check and adjust then will go through the beast menus and make sure again all is right

Steve holst

Hi all had maiden today which went very well landed shiny side up and the only issue is that the tail slowly starts to spin out I know I correctly reversed the rudder and gyro but can' t help thinking there is something else I need to reverse with compensate for torque??? Or is just through gains?? Thank You regards Steve

Gain adjustment comes after you've properly setup the tail linkage and arms; and, you want your linkage from the tail servo out to the tail linkage to be as smooth and easy to move as you can get it. Take the link off at the tail servo and move the linkage back and forth...it should be easy to move - the easier the better. The arm at the tail needs adjustment also...look in the manual and you'll see what needs to be done. When the arm is at the right spot you'll have the manufacturer suggested amount of tail pitch but you'll still have to set the gain for the gyro. Best way to do it after you've got the mechanical aspects taken care of, start with a reasonable amount of gain, say 50%, and see how it holds - if it's not holding, increase the gain and keep going until you start to experience a bit of tail wag. At that point, lower the gain a little until you get rid of the wag and you should be good to go. But, remember, you MUST eliminate as much drag in the tail linkage as you can because otherwise your gyro is going to be working the servo extra hard trying to find the "sweet spot" and since you've got too much drag in the linkage, there won't be a "sweet spot" so it'll be hunting forever.

Steve holst

Thanks for advice tail servo linkage was all good and free but found some binding on the unused part of a fourway servo horn so removed that reset tx gain and re checked all settings so fingers crossed will try again tomorrow thanks

Steve holst

Sounds like drift. Just adjust the tail linkage rod to try and get it to stop drifting.
Thanks for advice tail servo linkage was all good and free but found some binding on the unused part of a fourway servo horn so removed that reset tx gain and re checked all settings so fingers crossed will try again tomorrow thanks

Top Bottom