General raindbows and tic toks

xokia

These dang things are hard lol!!! haha I've smashed my 450 pro into the dirt for the second time :(
I think I need to start higher up in the air so I can have a chance to hit rescue. I always end up doing pretty good but then I go to throw the heli forward and end up tossing it into the dirt. I also seem to have more trouble with tail in tic toks and rainbows. It seems to be easier for my brain when the helicopter is 180 degrees to me. Maybe because I can actually see where the heli is at in the arc. So far its been about $80 crash each time. The blades end up taking the boom out. I ordered a large order from helikraft.com for spare parts since they had a 50% off sale this weekend. It only makes sense if you order a large quantity of parts because the shipping is expensive. I ordered $324 worth of parts which included shipping. If I bought elsewhere it would have cost me $480. So I'll update everyone once I receive that. I was really tempted to buy a 550e for $500 but I have to many helis already.

I think I will stick to my 300x to learn these maneuvers for now. Its a lot slower on transitions and gives you more time to react. The 450 changes directions really fast looks cool but my brain cant seem to keep up for very long!!! I get about 4-5 arcs going then loose the rhythm. Plus a similar crash on the 300x is usually in the $40 range at most.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Rainbows I don't have too much trouble with. They aren't pretty all the time, but I don't generally bury it with them and I can do them relatively tight without losing altitude too bad (I tend to skip off the end more than anything else). Tic-tocs are another matter. Still trying to get the speed up on transitioning (this it with the 300x). I'm getting better, slowly, but I still tend to lose altitude quickly. Think I have too much collective going on and I'm holding it too long past the stops. No bailout feature for me on the 300x. Just have to start high and be ready to push out or level out once it gets past 1/2 my starting altitude (20-30 feet to start usually).

xokia

Large rainbows I have no problem with. For me it's transitioning from a rainbow into a tic tok once you start making your rainbows into smaller arcs. I can get it going but I can't keep it. I need to start going higher up so I have time to recover just harder to see up there :( The 450 snaps back really quick which is usually when I lose it. I prefer my 300x until I get my skills up.

Tony

Staff member
If it's flipping or rolling too fast, there should be a setting in there to turn those rates down. I know the 3GX has that setting anyway.

Lee

Most people when doing tic tocs tend to use too much collective, and not enough cyclic. The cyclic pitch give most of the lift necessary in the manoeuvre with a touch of collective to hold it up there.

pvolcko

I back off on the collective during tic-tocs, but my issue is timing with the collective. I'm holding it a little too long past each stop which is effectively driving the heli down over the course of a few back and forths. Maybe I'll climb it up and focus most on the cyclic and just hold neutral collective. Get that down. It will drop but it shouldn't be too fast. Then start working a bit of collective in. Like you said, just enough to hold altitude.

Rain just stopped. Time to hit the skies. :)

stokke

I've trained a lot on the skids out, tail down tic tocs. Usually I do it in small angle, usually skids a bit to the left. Rainbows I can do on both the NX4 and the Goblin - but the NX4 is too under-powered to perform tic tocs. My problem is doing super fast tic tocs on the Goblin - I mess up the rhythm. More practice will do the trick I'm hoping :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
how is the gaui underpowered for tic tocs? Thats not true man! lol with the normal setup, the gaui nx4 rocks tic tocs.. Now I dont own one, but I own another nitro bird.. you have to realize tic tocs are more about collective management esp in the nitro boirds.. and micros.. more cyclic movement and very very little collective :)

This goes to you too xokia.. :) I mean.. it has taken me a hard long time to learn collective managemnet and yes I crashed many times trying it. but my nitro and my mcpx brushed "back in the day" taught me that. Electric birds have a lot of power to spare , so if you are bogging a 500 or a 700 electric in a tic toc.. you are putting too much collective in :)

stokke

The Nx4 bogs easily. Even if I hit it with a good ol' pitch pump. But, there may still be more power to the Nx4 - as I haven't dialed it in perfectly yet. I do not have a proper way to check the temp, so I have settled on a "safe" setting (where I burn my finger after about 1 sec while touching the motor). I have to get hold of some good temp equipment before I dare lean it in more.

Tony

Staff member
Why not just get the telemetry module and put the temp probe on it? That is what I have been doing with the 600. Works a little too well if you ask me lmao.

xokia

I back off on the collective during tic-tocs, but my issue is timing with the collective. I'm holding it a little too long past each stop which is effectively driving the heli down over the course of a few back and forths.
Yup same problem I have. And with the 450 the thing just changes directions so dang quick it's really hard to get the timing down and really easy to get into trouble fast. The 300x is a little slower so it's a little easier.

- - - Updated - - -

This goes to you too xokia.. :) I mean.. it has taken me a hard long time to learn collective managemnet and yes I crashed many times trying it. but my nitro and my mcpx brushed "back in the day" taught me that. Electric birds have a lot of power to spare , so if you are bogging a 500 or a 700 electric in a tic toc.. you are putting too much collective in :)

I'm bogging my 450 not on tic toks it seems to do fine with those. But pitch pumps or large rainbows I can bog it. My next heli up from my 450 is my 700 with 800MX motor. I'm way to scared to even try to attempt a tic tok or rainbow on that machine. That thing is on an entirely different level its got gobs and gobs of power and changes directions in a blink of an eye. I only attempt things on that heli that I have mastered on my other helis.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I feel ya there Marius. If you were in the stated, I would make you a bitchin deal on one. But, as long as you are not burning the ring, the engine is making power and is up on the pipe (rich gurgles, lean sounds like it's starving, but just right it just purrs lol) then you should be fine.

xokia

I feel ya there Marius. If you were in the stated, I would make you a bitchin deal on one. But, as long as you are not burning the ring, the engine is making power and is up on the pipe (rich gurgles, lean sounds like it's starving, but just right it just purrs lol) then you should be fine.

you guys post in the wrong topic or did I go crazy? :D

xokia

I get caught up in the moment lmao.
No worries I just didnt follow the discussion and got lost :)
I think I am going to practice tic toks in the simulator for now. uggg..... I really hate the sim but my last two crashes cost me $80 each :(

Top Bottom