Trucks Radio issues

Randyscotty

Hello everyone. New to The Forum, new to RC, well not really just out of it for about 27 years. Cars, boats, helicopters tried a little bit of it all. Anyways, recently decided to get back into the hobby started with a Tamiya semi truck, bought myself a DX8, now I'm having issues in regards to my motor travel. Seems regardless of how I set the sticks my motor only goes in One Direction regardless of the direction of my stick. Meaning if I push the stick forward the wheels go forward if I push the stick backwards the wheels go forward, and vice versa if I switch things around. I was told this would be a perfect radio, as I wish to add different functions to the model primarily lights. In any case want to start with the basics and figure out why I can't get my travels correct. Any help would be appreciated more than my words whatever state.

RandyDSok

Let's cover some potential legal aspects first...

The FCC have separate channels for surface and air vehicles.... so legally using a transmitter/receiver from one on the other may be against the law... I'm only relatively certain and not positive but that is what I recall is the case. You aren't suppose to mix them and use a land based radio system with air or visa versa... I could be wrong or things could have changed from when I learned that.

Second... technically... You will have to use an air based receiver ( this I'm certain of ) in the truck. I'm uncertain it will understand what reverse is and if it does ( it's possible, I know of some 3D aircraft that can use reverse thrust )... I'm uncertain how you'd program it for a brake.

Randyscotty

Let's cover some potential legal aspects first...

The FCC have separate channels for surface and air vehicles.... so legally using a transmitter/receiver from one on the other may be against the law... I'm only relatively certain and not positive but that is what I recall is the case. You aren't suppose to mix them and use a land based radio system with air or visa versa... I could be wrong or things could have changed from when I learned that.

Second... technically... You will have to use an air based receiver ( this I'm certain of ) in the truck. I'm uncertain it will understand what reverse is and if it does ( it's possible, I know of some 3D aircraft that can use reverse thrust )... I'm uncertain how you'd program it for a brake.
First of all, I appreciate your response. Now with that being said, is I have flown helicopters I am aware of FCC regulations, but again with that being said I've been out of it long enough to know that I have no idea where new technologies have come. In any case I've seen on YouTube and various other places as well as local hobby shops of people using these types of radios and transmitters in their land-based vehicles, I know potentially monkey see monkey do if he jumps off bridge blah blah blah, but any case how is requiring something more than a four or five Channel radio in order to do things I've needed to do in regards to this vehicle. Furthermore when I first got the equipment, I had everything working properly. Now that I've disconnected everything and started to build on the truck and is now at the point for testing, I can't seem to get things to work properly. I watched a few of the videos from RC help figured The Forum would be a good place to start.

RandyDSok

Until someone can come along and help ( if they know how )... more info.

As long as you are aware that there may be FCC rules that may restrict how you use a radio... I've done my part in warning you of the potential issue and it's now up to you to find out if it still applies to the newer radios and the frequencies they now use...

Just a quick history lesson on how those rules ( if they still apply here ) got started. We used to have to manually control what frequencies the radios were working on in order to avoid conflicts. The original radio control equipment were first using AM and then later FM radio's. The frequencies they used only had a limited number of channels and so there would be less chance of a conflict, which could result of a loss of control because of two radios on the same frequency could cause... The channels were divided between the surface and air vehicles so they could be used simultaneously. When a pilot would start to fly ( or drive etc ), they'd go to the control board where the frequency flags or clips were kept, grab the one that corresponded to their radio and then fly/drive or whatever they were going to do. But if their frequency was being used, they had to wait until the other pilot returned that frequencies flag/clip before they could continue.

Now the modern radios use 2.4Ghz and other frequencies and they auto select from unused channels to work on. There is still just a limited number of channels but the chances of conflicts is much less than it once was. Now the only limitation is the number of pilots that can fly/drive at any one moment... they no longer had to worry about what frequency they were going to use. It is because of this later change in radio technology, that I no longer know if the previous rules still apply since those types of radios ( AM/FM ) aren't being used today.

Hopefully that didn't bore you... and also gave you an understanding of why those rule are or once were put into place. Hopefully someone can assist with your question...

Tony

Staff member
I tried to get my hands on a DX8 so that I can show you in a video on how to set this up, but the owner of that Tx is on vacation at the moment. When he comes back, I will try to coordinate with him and get his Tx. I'm not 100% that it will work (as Randy stated) and I don't actually own an ESC with reverse function, but if/when I can get my hands on a DX8, I will try to do my best to help you out.

Randyscotty

I would like to again express my disbelief in The Helpful nature of those on this site something in the realms of things unheard-of nowadays. So while I am still trying to solve these issues on my own any help from those who have vastly more knowledge than myself would be greatly appreciated. Well I have been quite busy with work and haven't had much time the last few days to dabble into anything, I have once again contacted Spektrum as well as other individuals and have learned of a recent update in the last couple of days, which is soon as I am able will be downloading the update installing it into the transmitter and see if that team's the issues, otherwise it looks like I'm forced with two options send the radio out see if there is an issue with the radio itself or swallowing my pride admitting that I was taken by a shop owner who declared he knew what he was talking about when I went to him with all instructions all limitations all information that I gathered over the months in regards to the system setup and simply except the $400 loss and spend another $400 on a radio I know that will work. Thanks for everything guys especially you Tony and I'm looking forward to any help you may have.

Tony

Staff member
No need to get rid of the DX8. Just download the RCH Trainer plans (in the store tab at the top of the forum for FREE). and get into flying! But with that said, I'm sure your tx is fine, it's just a calibration issue. Get the manual out for your ESC and try to do a complete calibration of the ESC. Make sure when you start the calibration, that the throttle stick is CENTERED. On most, it will give a green light for forward calibration, then a red light for reverse calibration.

Smoggie

I've very little experience of cars but for sure it's not a Tx issue, the signal a airplane type Tx puts out is the same as a car Tx puts out (they are all 2.4GHz these days so no need to worry about the old school frequency rules)

It's most likely an ESC setup issue but having never run a brushless ESC/motor in a car I cant be of much help, sorry.

Top Bottom