Spektrum Quick Question on the DX8

N4RF

You all did such a great job with my first question I thought I'd try a second!!

I am considering upgrading from the DX6 to the DX 8 and noticed that it uses a rechargeable battery. All my previous TXs have had power from 4 AA batteries which I can replace on demand at the field (I carry extras). I'm wondering how convenient the rechargeable batteries in TXs really are in this case considering I also have to recharge the plane batteries (I know there are different charging methods).

Should I purchase a second battery and keep it charged or is there a long term fully charge issue with Lithium Ion batteries as there is with LiPo batteries?

Thanks in advance!

heli-maniac

The rechargeable Battery that comes in the DX8 is pretty good . It holds a charge way longer than just AA batteries
Just put it on charge the night before going to fly and It will last unless you just leave it on for Hours
There is a Lipo upgrade for it . I have the Pulse one in my DX8 and only charge it once a month
All in All really just comes down to use

Tony

Staff member
My DX9 came with a LiIon battery and like Jesse stated above, they last almost forever. I can do multiple videos with the Tx on, and have multiple flights and still have a charge left. If you want to purchase a second one, that is up to you, but there really is no need. I will never run another Tx with AA batteries in them. Just not near enough run time.

Admiral

Previously with my DX8 and again with the DX9 I purchased an aftermarket LiPo and kept the original LiIon as a spare, in neither case have I never needed the backup battery, I could probably go two or three weeks between charges if I wanted.

Derek

I have the DX8 Gen1. I've had it for nearly 3 years. I did buy the 4000mah TX lipo pack from HobbyKing.com (other brands are also available). I'm still using that same tx today. I put it on charge, using the supplied Spektrum charge cable, for 12-14 hours and I'm good to go. When I take the DX8 off the charger, the battery display shows 7.9v, or so, and I can use my tx for flying and setups for weeks. My final words are, the DX8 (and I'm sure the DX9) with the lipo are a perfect combination.

wolfman76

I think derek and I both have the same gen1 dx8 I also have the turnigy 4000mah lipo from HobbyKing.com it is the one that automatically stops charging when it is full charge. I have had the charge last on mine almost a month and a half with regular usage plus you just can't beat how easy a spectrum radio is to use and setup

N4RF

These are great responses. Thanks.

I figured that as popular as the radio is that they would have come out as a drawback in some review had the issue been a problem but wanted to specifically address the issue anyway.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom