Batteries Question regarding charging multiple batteries at once

callsign4223

Staff member
I have been reading around trying to figure out the best way to charge all 6 of my mcpx batteries at once. What I don't get is that some people are saying that all the batteries have to be discharged to the same level for a parallel lead to work.
What happens if the batteries are at different charge levels?
Also, what if some of the batteries are 200 mah and some are 300 mah?
I did read that you could use a balance charger lead to get around the different charge levels, but is it really necessary and how would you construct one?
It was also said that if you use a balance charger lead and you have a bad battery none of them will charge, is this correct?
I know these are a lot of questions, but it seems the more I try to research this the more confused I end up making myself. Whatever type of leads I do go with I am planning on attaching it to a Thunder AC6 in case it makes a difference. Thanks for the help guys.

Tony

Staff member
Charging different mah batteries can be done. When you charge a battery, you are not charging for mah, you are charging for voltage. Once each cell hits 4.2 volts dc, it will cut off the charger. Because they are all the same voltage (1s 3.7 batteries), you can hook them up in parallel and charge them just fine. When you hook them up in parallel, and this is why they say same voltage, if one is higher than the other, they will equal out to each other in voltage. If you have one at 3.1 volts, and the other at 4.2 volts, the 4.2 is going to pump voltage into the 3.1 at the highest rate it can withstand. Needless to say, this is WAY above the 1c charge rate of the 3.1 cell. For this reason, I would keep them within about .5 volts of each other to keep this from happening.

If you are wanting to charge 6 of your cells at the same time, add up the total mah, then divide by 1000 to figure out what amp rating to use. If you are using 6 200mah batteries, you will charge on a setting of 1s, 1.2 amps. Because they are in parallel, they will charge at the same rate, and because they are at the same s rating, there is no need to balance. Hope this helps answer your question.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Beautifully put tony...

I charge 6 at the same time with the parallel connector I got from HK. Now I was charging 6 batteries at 1A... That's why it would take me 78-80 minutes to charge all 6... Lol

I will give 1.2 a try.. I don't think there's anything wrong in 1a but what you said makes sense.. :)

Tony

Staff member
Sell it to me Gabster and send some batteries with it while you are at it :biggrin1:

Gaba, just add up your total mah and divide by 1000. If you come out with 1.2a, you can safely charge at 1.5 if you wish. Just keep an eye on them the first couple times you charge and make sure they are not puffing up. They shouldn't, but you never know.

Top Bottom