General Question for you mcpx'ers ?

gravybird

How is it possible for a collective pitch heli to be flown with a 4 channel tx? I was looking on the blade website, and the rtf model comes with a 4ch tx? Im kind of thinking of that to be my next heli, and I have a 6i, but I'm just curious. Thanks.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
The mcpx has 4 outputs 3cyclics and a throttle (main and tail motor) . You are controlling only those four. Berthing else is software controlled and pre programmed. So you don't get to choose / program stuff.

It's like if you see the nitro helis, some governors like the one I use don't use a channel on the tx but do the same job. I can't toggle stuff on them with my tx, but they are fully working controlling what needs to be controlled.

Now, the mcpx has the mixer fr throttle to pitches, and the gyro is all preprogrammed in the "3in1" board. So what's left is just the cyclic inputs and throttle input. Idle up is not really a channel, it's just a switch select to for your tx. Nothing changed in the bird , it just reacts to the program you have fed into it. Hence 4channel

Hope I was not all over the place lol.

Tony

Staff member
On a normal CCPM helicopter, your Tx will do all of the mixing. but on the mcpx with the stock DX4 or whatever it's called, the mixing for the collective and cyclic are done within the helicopter board, and not the Tx. This gives it the ability to control 3 servos at the same time. Pretty simple once you think about it. But with your Dx6i, you won't have an issue. Just run the settings in the manual for your Tx.

gravybird

Ok so the head speed is either just on or off, not controlled by any of the sticks? And the left stick up and down is pitch? You guys might need to draw me a picture in the dirt with a stick:)

Tony

Staff member
Nope, your headspeed is adjusted just like any other helicopter with teh left stick. It also mixes in the collective pitch movements as well unless you are running in idle up. If you are running in idle up, then you have one head speed no matter where the stick is adn only your pitch will change. Confusing I know, but trust me, you will understand when you get it :biggrin1:

gravybird

Ok so as I push the left stick up, it will ramp up head speed, and add positive pitch at the same time?

gravybird

ok so my first flight (battery went really well). When I started my second flight, it was all over the place, had no control on the cyclic, multiple hard landings, and crashes busting off one of the linkage rods. after reading one of the papers that came with it, I must have screwed up the gyro calibration when it powered up. linkage rod replaced, and batteries on the charge:) Is it normal for the front two servos to make a little buzzing sound the whole time the battery is plugged in regardless if I am flying or not?

Tony

Staff member
When you plug in the battery, lay the heli on its side and plug it in and leave it alone. When you hear the servos cycle, you can put it on it's landing gears. This will assure you the gyro is set correctly. And yes, the servos make all kinds of noise when it's just sitting there and even more when you move it. Welcome to the world of 3 axis gyros lol.

gravybird

Now you mentioned a few posts up about running in "idle up" how is that done, and is that the same thing as stunt mode?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, idle up and stunt mode are the same. And yo do it with the F-Mode switch. It's located on the left of the Tx on the top.

gravybird

well now I broke the tail boom:(... I could kick the guy for not selling me a spare or two. I was reading in another thread about extending the boom, is it possible to shorten the boom? its a 2 hour drive to the nearest hobby shop, and I don't think I can hold out:) Or does a hardware store sell anything that could be a substitute? I also read about you guys buying carbon fiber material, and making your own booms.

Tony

Staff member
Don't get a new tail boom for that helicopter. Just use a piece of 2mm rod and cut it 5" long. You will have to file little flat spots on each end. They will be on the same side when you do, and not that deep. It keeps things from twisting. If you do it right, you won't have to glue it in. But, you can finish splitting the stock boom and get the wires out of it withouth breaking them. Then, cut, sand and install the solid 2mm carbon boom, wrap the wires around the boom, and it will be 10x as strong. And a LOT cheaper. lol

gravybird

ok, I imagine I could find something like that at the local hardware stores. Thanks again for the advise. and holy cow that little heli can sure get away from me in a nanosecond. Can't wait to fix it in the AM

gravybird

Can the 2mm rod be made out of anything? I have some old cb antennas that look to be just that. Or is the weight of metal too much for this heli?

Tony

Staff member
I think any metal will make it too heavy. And, it needs to be round. CB antennas are usually 1/4" if they are fiberglass. If you are talking about a whip antenna, I think it will be too heavy. But hey, you can always try it. That's the fun with this hobby. Try it. If it crashes and burns, don't do it again lmao

gravybird

question on stunt mode? it seems that the head speed is a good but faster in stunt mode vs when flying it the regular way. Is there a setting to lower the head speed while in stunt mode?

Top Bottom