Tri Quanum Trifecta Tricopter

Admiral

Always wondered about Tricopters ever since I saw my son's which had some issues. I bought the Quanum Trifecta from HK, the initial build was with an Align servo for the Tail, soon found out that was wrong as it rotates the wrong direction and while you can reverse the servo direction in the TX I could not get the servo and the yaw gyro to work together, so I relented and purchased a cheap Turnigy servo as recommended. The first flights have been very encouraging, it hovers easily at about half throttle, has plenty of punch on an S3 battery, and is hardly effected by wind, it cuts through the it like a flying brick.

An interesting point that I learned during the build process is that when using a Nase32 the motor direction has no effect providing you use the appropriate prop, yaw is only provided by the rear prop which is tilted by the servo, I have all three motors running CW when Cleanflight recommends CCW when I checked in MMIX the yaw setting is set to Zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuHK5z2QT1c

Smoggie

I've got a Turnigy Talon Tricopter, it flies pretty well and the pivoting rotor gives nice 'snappy' yaw response. These days I rarely use I prefer helis but it's fun non the less.

Normally on a tri you would have the two fixed props turning opposite to each other. The tilting prop can go either way. They will still fly with all props turning the same way but they end up having to lean quite a bit to hover, just like a conventional heli does (translating tendency).

Admiral

I noticed the lean, and may get a CCW motor to put on the front, the only reason I went all three CW was because that's the way Cleanflight have theirs by default, I didn't realise until later that it didn't make any difference.

Smoggie

Surely you wouldn't need a different motor? Just swap two of the motor wires over as per any brushless motor?.. plus use a opposite hand prop, obviously.

FWIW the pictures on Hobbyking show as I suggested, opposite hand props on the two fixed motors:
68596s1.jpg

PS.. I now see what you are referring to.. Some multirotor motors come with left or right hand threads for CW or CCW rotation (every day is a school day!). On my tri the motors are all the same and I've never had any issues buyt maybe with these racing spec multirotors the fast accelerating motors might loosen the prop nut?

68596s1.jpg

Last edited:

Admiral

Yeah I would spin the prop off, I have other similar motors there but I don't like to mix brands. I'm going on a cruise for a week I'll order the new motor when I get back.

Top Bottom