Quad Quad Drift

Michael Scott

I just built my first Quad and am trying to figure out how to get the drift out of it. When I try to hover in one spot my quad likes to drift to the right, have tried to fine tune on the transmitter but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Am kind of thinking I may have to play with the PID but don't know what to start with, PITCH or YAW am thinking YAW but do I add or subtract the numbers? I have tried to watch u-tube and read up on PID but I just keep confusing my self, can anyone help in simple terms that I can understand?

Tony

Staff member
PID won't really do anything for drift unless it is what I call a "lazy drift". It will drift in more than one axis in this instance. What you have is a Roll drift which is likely caused by the gyros not being calibrated correctly. Set the quad on a perfectly level surface and calibrate it to level. Take it out to fly and if it still does it, put some small shims under the side it is drifting towards and calibrate again. By doing this, you are telling the gyro where level is and this should get the drift out. I do apologize for the delay in replying, it was a crazy week last week at work. Hope this helps.

Stambo

I know this is a bit late but you can use stick commands to trim the craft if it is using cleanflight or betaflight.
Trying to use trim in the transmitter is an absolute no, trims should be at zero. Double check in the configurator.

Assuming mode 2 here (Left stick throttle and yaw) and self level active.
  1. Disarm
  2. Left stick full throttle
  3. Right stick, hold in the direction of required correction. Ie it's drifting right, hold it left. The longer you hold it, the more correction is applied. You will get beeps and board LED flashes.
  4. Fly, test, and repeat until you are happy.
A home built quad will rarely hover in one spot without operator input but you can get it close.
Learn to fly acro as soon as possible, self level modes (horizon and angle) inhibit smooth flight and learning.

Top Bottom