Quad Quad Copter build

Lillyryan

Hey everyone. Do you have any advice on a quadcopter build? i would like to build one from kit that can take a camera on board. Thanks

Lee

Give us an idea of what you want to do with it.
Take nice pictures, FPV racing, learn to fly?
What size camera?
Then I can give you a choice of some good platforms to start with, and the electronics you would need for them.

Lillyryan

Hi Lee. Yes I would like to take some nice pics and vids. I know how to fly and I would like to give FPV a go. Cheers

If it won't fly put a bigger engine on it!!!

Tony

Staff member
If you would, post up what cameras you will be using on the quad. The weight of the cameras needs to be known so that you can get one that will be able to lift their weight without struggling. Such as, if you are wanting to lift a DSLR camera, you are more than likely going to want to go with a Hex and not a Quad. But can be done with a quad that is large enough.

Lillyryan

Not sure what camera but probably something like the mobius or go pro.

If it won't fly put a bigger engine on it!!!

Lee

For the Go pro or Mobius a 450 size quad is a good size.
If you want to get in fpv quickly, and don't want to break too much, then a 250 quad is great.
You can buy the kit for a 250 quad for $100 Just need RX and battery.
But for LOS flying its a bit small. Once you are more than 50m away you will loose orientation.
450 size, there are many choices.
I have the QAV500. Very nice machine, but fragile if you think you're gonna crash a lot.
I well built machine would be something like the TBS discovery. Strong frame, cheap easily replaceable arms.
As far as electronics, I can advise you when you decide on a frame.
Good luck.

Lillyryan

For the Go pro or Mobius a 450 size quad is a good size.
If you want to get in fpv quickly, and don't want to break too much, then a 250 quad is great.
You can buy the kit for a 250 quad for $100 Just need RX and battery.
But for LOS flying its a bit small. Once you are more than 50m away you will loose orientation.
450 size, there are many choices.
I have the QAV500. Very nice machine, but fragile if you think you're gonna crash a lot.
I well built machine would be something like the TBS discovery. Strong frame, cheap easily replaceable arms.
As far as electronics, I can advise you when you decide on a frame.
Good luck.

Thanks Lee.
How about something like this?
TBS Discovery ARTF Kit Inc Naza Lite - Quadcopters.co.uk

Lee

Thats a good kit. I think someone else i know has just gone for that.
JR I have no personal experience with, but its a good radio.
If you are looking to buy a new radio for the purpose of FPV. The Taranis with FR Sky RX is the go to radio for FPV at the moment.

Top Bottom