Quad QAV 500 Rebuild

Lee

Just bought some new motors for my QAV 500.
Also some new anti vibration mounts, V1.1 power board frame and three new batteries.
With these and the new Gimble I'm building, I'm hoping for some great flying.

img_6258.jpg

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Great lee you should be golden with those motors. I have the older version of them or do I have the 4008's, hmmm don't remember and I had a very hard day at work so I'm not running down and up two flights of strairs to check! Lol. 8 pm and I'm in bed allready!

Karubah

I have read good reports on those motors. Are you going to run 11.47 props with them? Should have plenty of grunt.

Lee

Im not running the 540 arms, so as Sam said, 10" is the biggest i can go. And its all i need.
Sam, you have the FM4008 motors, which is what i have had on mine since new.
They worked ok, but the bearings are shot and the grub screws holding the bell to the motor shafts, have stripped so many times its not funny any more.
I will use them for a basher quad at some time to just throw around and beat the crap out of. Or i may replace the bearings and sell them.

Ordered my batteries from Hobby King yesterday, and they are already shipped :D

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Im not running the 540 arms, so as Sam said, 10" is the biggest i can go. And its all i need.
Sam, you have the FM4008 motors, which is what i have had on mine since new.
They worked ok, but the bearings are shot and the grub screws holding the bell to the motor shafts, have stripped so many times its not funny any more.
I will use them for a basher quad at some time to just throw around and beat the crap out of. Or i may replace the bearings and sell them.

Ordered my batteries from Hobby King yesterday, and they are already shipped :D

I here you buddy! I haven't had a bit of problems with mine. Although I'm going to do maintenance on then this spring. Since I've not done anything to then since new. This will be the third year on them coming up.

Lee

Ordered new batteries on Tuesday for Hobby King. Arrived today :D Four days door to door with New years day in the middle. Not bad.

21356.jpg

Stambo

Be interesting to know what you think of those Zippy compact batteries.
I have 2 4s 5000s and I think they are better than the Nanotechs that I have.
I get between 10 and 15 minutes flight time on my 450 quad depending on how I fly.

Last edited:

Lee

I was getting 10mins on my Normal Zippy 5000s, but they are super heavy. I wanted the Compact 4000s but they weren't in stock.
I prefer lighter quad with less flight time, and just buy more batteries :D

Lee

My new motors are out of stock. So its going to be a month or so before that arrive :(
In the mean time, i have replaced the bearings in my FM4008 motors.

Lee

Ordered these gimble motors for my DIY camera gimble.
Unfortunately i discovered, my Flight control board doesn't support brushless motors, only servos for the camera stabilisation. :(
Ordered them on the 27th Dec and they just arrived. Thats the slowest shipping i have had so far, and the first time i have used RCTimer.com

1029.jpg

So i have ordered this, which comes with the Martinez gimble control board.
I will bolt the rear motor straight to my quad. So all the metal work above the rear motor won't be needed.
This should keep the weight down.
At $69, you can't complain, and i'm very happy with the service from Infinity Hobby. Ordered late last night, woke up this morning and its shipped with tracking number :)
22709213_a32.jpg

Lee

Not sure Paul.
I may keep them for spares or make another gimble at a later date.
Unless someone wants to buy them from me :)

tugboat4me

Hi, I was wondering if you have tried the Lumenier's yet, and how they preformed?? Running the T motors in mine and the Lumeniers are less expensive.....
IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Lee

Still waiting for then to arrive. I was told 1 month wait. That was two months ago. It says on the site today id the expected day they will come into stock.
The only difference between the Lumeniers and the Tigers are the bearings.
My FM4008 are doing better now, since i changed the bearings.

Lee

Finally got my new motors today and a few other bits and bobs.
Trying out these Afro ESC from HK, and a USB programmer for them.
I have been having an issue with one of my ESCs, so i thought i'd try some new ones.
Got a new integrated PCB frame, some new dampener bobbins, and a Gopro cable to use it as an FPV camera.

QAV parts.jpg

tl68a10-big.jpg

QAV parts.jpg

tl68a10-big.jpg

WyDiablo

I have (2) 6S Zippy Compact 35C 3300Mah batteries the I run on my X4 Carbon Core 650MM and they are great. I was getting between 7 and 10 min. flights. And when warm weather hits I will run these together as a 6600Mah to see what type of flight times I can get with the Zippy's.

Tasajara

I have the Afro's on my I frame Quad, they work great so far. The gopro camera cable works good I have it on my Tarot Gimble. The extra connector can power the camera hooked up to a 5v supply

Lee

Rebuild started with a strip down and clean.
100_3174.jpg

Cut off front camera plate to allow room for Gimble to move.
100_3176.jpg

Wired motors directly to the Afro ESCs.
100_3177.jpg

Gimble controller has a 5V out which i'm using to power the RX and FC board.
100_3180.jpg

I took a balance lead from an old 6S pack and made a 12V supply with 3 +- outlets for various uses.
100_3182.jpg

Gopro tripod mount screws straight into same plate as Gimble, so i can use which ever i want.
100_3184.jpg

100_3186.jpg

Finished and ready to Maiden
100_3179.jpg

100_3174.jpg

100_3176.jpg

100_3177.jpg

100_3180.jpg

100_3182.jpg

100_3184.jpg

100_3186.jpg

100_3179.jpg