Quad Prop talk

Hey all! Have just completed my first racing quad build, and am really interested to hear other pilots' thoughts on the art and science of choosing a good set of props. 2, 3 or 4 blades, and where does pitch become too steep to be effective? For context my quad is based on a diatone 200 frame

Stambo

There is so many variables that a lot comes down to what works for your flying style and equipment.
Many of the "Pro" pilots are now using tri blades but that does not mean we should all rush out and get them.
My best suggestion is try a few different ones and settle on what suits you the best.
Most of us that started on 250 size quads started with 3s batteries and 5030 props.
This gives you a more docile craft than 4s and 5045 bullnose on the smae machine.
Just remember that every time you change the type of prop you use, you may have to retune. :)

Am running some 4050 gemfan at the minute but am thinking of trying the equivalent bullnose variants (2 blade). I'm still finetuning the quad which i suppose puts me in a good position to experiment :)

Got the bullnose props through the post and attached. Illness has left me at home while my quad languishes at work. This weekend should be decent enough to give me a good testflight! Hoping to post up some vids :)

Tasajara

I have some bullnose props myself but I went with the GemFan because the tips are much smoother and tapered off than all the rest.
They Tend to pull less amps and have less turbulence at the tip, but still give great power.
Looking at the pics you can see the difference.
But I have got a few sets of 4 blade props I have not got to try yet... :yahoo:

GemFan Props

5x4.5-gf-orange.jpg

HQ props

5x4-5-black-cw.jpg

5x4.5-gf-orange.jpg

5x4-5-black-cw.jpg

Last edited:
Looking nice - I noticed that the bullnose props I am using unsurprisingly seem to be a little bit more punchy than the tapered props I was using before (and generate a more pleasingly scary sound ;) )

Tasajara

No the 4 Blade don't pull higher amps, as long as they are not bullnose...Normal tapered tip. I really like the GemFan Tri Blade for an all around prop. Less amp draw than the Tri Bullnose. Good speed and responce...
I have noticed with the Quad or Hex (4 & 6) Blade props you give up a little speed, But they tend to make all of my Aerobatic moves a lot quicker. Example If I move my stick to the same point with the Tri blade vs the Quad blade as in a roll
I will do 1 complete roll where with the Quad it seems to do about a roll and a half. And same goes for the Hex Blades, it feels like I turned my throws up after going from a 2 blade to Quad or Hex with the higher blade count.

If I get time one day I will check amp draw on a few props just to see the difference.

Last edited:
from my perspective I am looking for a balance between speed and maneuverability so maybe some tri-props would suit? It sounds from your experience that quads may lose a little too much speed. I also noticed that the bullnose props I am using seem to be a little more punchy off the ground so maybe bullnose tri could be my ideal.

Having said that, I am looking to start a new build soon so everything could be up in the air (if you pardon the pun ;) )

Tasajara

these are the other props I have tried... I was talking about.... Funny thing is the more blades the quiter it got
new HQ props.JPG
5x4x4 props.JPG

new HQ props.JPG

5x4x4 props.JPG

Last edited:

Admiral

I have tried 2,3,4 & 6 blades, I know that theoretically that 2 blades are aerodynamically the most efficient but wanted to see how the others performed. The one interesting thing I noticed that the more blades the less throttle it took to maintain a hover, I imagine that is because when operating in the the horizontal plane that the extra blades give the effect of a greater surface area similar to more wing area on a plank.

Other than that I stay with 2 blade bull nose, mainly because they are less susceptible to damage than the others, and I tend to hand out plenty of that.

Tasajara

nice. it's interesting that an increase in blades reduces the speed a little - is this due to less clean air around each blade to create lift?

I think the 3 blade seems to be the best for me, and the GemFan bullnose seem to work best just for the fact they have a tapered tip over other bullnose props. Like HQ props that have the flat blunt tip.
GemFan's pull less amps... And seem to have a stronger hub It is a more molded were the blade meet the center.
You can see the difference in these pics... I have not broke any GemFans's yet but I am sure it will happen some day..

GemFan's

GemFan.jpg

HQ's

HQ.jpg

GemFan.jpg

HQ.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom