Prop Prop size for my P-51 Mustangood 3 hours

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Alright

its been months and the plane was staring at me.. And I was day dreaming of flying it all this time.. Finally got the guts to start working on my first real Balsa built plane. The good part is that it was given to me built and used / stored / hangar rashed, so all I had to do was fix couple things.. First things I fixed was remove the hinge of all control surfaces, clean them, and reinstall them with cloth hinges. That was a fun discovery --> cloth hinges.. esp for a helicopter man.. heehee.. anywaz.. after that. I got the engine installed after a 3 hours of work on it. had to cut out some wood cowling and spinner and what not.. have the engine securely seated in there... Fixed the landing gear... now plane stands on its LG with confidence.

Now is the time before I out cosmetics like cowling and stuff on to test this frame see is it really worth it... its a great planes kit .40 size for 2 stroke.. or .60 4 stroke.

I put a 10x6 prop on it for now. Is that right prop size? should I go bigger? I am not sure . should I go with 11x6 or 11x5 or something.. I am not good at this stuff.. I need y'alls help.. Then engine I am using on it is OS 46 FX. with a straight pitts muffler. Engine mounted inverted (not that it maks a difference) .

Plane is gonna be a bit heavy as I can see.. I havent installed the battery in it yet.. planning on going with a Life 2 cell battery, I have a 5000mah one lying around.. its big and a bit heavy but I know it'll not need charging for a LOOOOONG while... So this is primarily a questions about prop. but anything in here looks off to you.. please let me know.. I'll fix it..

Also.. my fuel tubing is kinda tight in the back of the engine.. and it is touching the backplate screws or backplate outer in general.. is that acceptable ? should I be worried?

Thanks y'all

Last edited:

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
The 10x6 will work great for that plane and engine, but if you wanted to experiment a bit it'll have no problem turning an 11x7 or similar prop. If you're using the normal glow fuel tubing then you shouldn't have any problem with it touching the engine.

p.s. a 5000mAh LiFe????? haha, nice!!! talk about low downtime!!! :biglaugh:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
great.. I read a little about it people said to try 11x6 for a higher pull .. but I read some going with higher too.. majority agreed 10x5-12x6 was the range.. I am gonna see if this plane gets some air on this prop, and will try out the other one if the first flight is successful.

Ok, question : I got three tubes off my fuel tank, One going to the engine (the one with the clunk on it) , one going to the muffler ofcourse for back pressure, now the third one I know I can use for fueling. it seems like I will need to make a hole on the side of the engine to have it sit there and have a thing to seal it off once done fueling. I know I have seen people use it but I cant remember the name of that thing they use on the side? do you know what I am talking about?

Another question : Dubro only sells red black or white spinners.. none appealed to me really a whole lot. For a good look and all, where can I find a good spinner which will go with my grey P-51. also please recommend a prop website where I can buy prop with painted ends. may be like yellow paint or something.. looks cool and ofcourse a bit safer.. my spinner size is 2 3/4" as per the manual.

Let me know!

Thanks Chris btw! :)

One more thing. I honestly dont have the money to get a new Spektrum RX for now.. I havea n orange rx though.. is it ok in a balsa plane? what would you say ?

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I'll answer what I can! The third line goes to a plug called a fuel dot, basically your "gas cap" on a model plane. The best looking spinners on a mustang are the aluminum ones, tru-turn makes some really nice ones. I honestly can't think of any other colors that would match the plane (painting the spinner is always an option). My personal favorite props are APC, just take some masking tape and you can paint the tips really nice. Tower
sells it all. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAHE1&P=7 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKD70&P=7

The Orange RX's work fine as long as they're meant to be full range. I don't fly Spektrum, but a friend of mine uses an Orange RX in a Twist 40 plane and it hasn't had any problems.

Top Bottom