Projects Project Utility Plane!

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
As some of you know I got a Senior Telemaster air frame for next to nothing with the intention to make it into a "do it all" plane. I plan on fixing it up to be able to haul gliders up to altitude, take aerial photography, fly from water, and whatever else I can come up with. This all will require some kind of modification to the frame, so I decided that it was project worthy. One of the modifications that I would like to do is to add large flaps to the inside of the wing to enable it to land at walking speed and take off water easily. More posts with pictures will come Monday evening as I get the engine mounted and the patches done on the monokote. :)

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
FPV? I'm not planning to fly it from a camera, but might put a camera on it sometime. What kind of mounts are there out there for mounting cameras?

Tony

Staff member
Anything you could want. From belly mounts to cowl mount and so on. If you do a bomb drop door, I would put a micro camera on it so you can see the candy go flying. However, if you put an FPV camera on it, put it on the wing. The prop will mess up the image if on the fuse.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Oh, that's what you were talking about

- - - Updated - - -

:eagerness: :eagerness:

- - - Updated - - -

no I don't think I will, it's just such a basic airframe that I can't justify spending that much money on a mount. If it were a higher performance plane than I would spend the extra cash, but the standard 120 size mount will work fine for this application. The DLE isn't much of a shaker

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
The DLE 20's are great, I still have the original plug in mine and it runs fine, but apparently they run a lot better with a NGK cm6 plug. I have about 25 flights on mine and I have never had a deadstick landing, much more reliable than any glow engine I've seen. That'll be a sweet plane with a pair of those!!! What's the wingspan going to be?

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
The Telemaster is nearly ready to go, I just need to check my fuel lines and make sure my carb is primed so it'll pull fuel. I set up the batteries and the rx today and everything has been checked out, so there's a chance of flying tomorrow!! :triumphant::eagerness:

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Thanks Tony! I sure hope it flies well! I ran the engine up this morning and it sounds as good as ever. I love putting gas through that thing because it's guilt free (I always feel bad about burning $25 gallons of glow fuel) I'll try to get my buddy to take video of the maiden, but no promises :topsy_turvy:

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Okay, so no video this time, but it went great! The first takeoff only took a couple feet because I was anxious to get it in the air and I knew I had the horsepower to keep from stalling

- - - Updated - - -

:pride::pride::pride::applouse:

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
No video again, but my buddy Dan and I took it up today with his 30 year old Gentle Lady on top, and it works great! I've never had so much fun! Eventually I'll see if I can get someone to let me put Gopro on it to catch the launch in action! :D

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Oh, that's cool! :applouse:

Glider ala Space Shuttle - You have to get that on video!

Check this review out: The number 11 808 cams are awesome, and cheap and would work great for what you are doing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
The second gen that I owned over heated and died while I was testing out another camera. I won't purchase another one until I hear the gen 3's are much better.

Top Bottom