Projects Project: F4U Corsair Rebuild

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure you all know by now, I purchase a used 57" F4U Corsair that has many issues. But, it has a brand new engine, which made it worth the cost.

The first, and most obvious issue was the broken wing. Thankfully, there was still some of the basswood that I could use to help epoxy this wing back together. I put a crap ton of epoxy on this little guy, as well as all the way around the wing and pushed it together. I let it sit over night (even though it's 30 min epoxy) and the wing is strong.

The next issue was the retracts. I had a hell of a time finding these, but thanks to URI for finding a used plane like this one, I was able to find the website that sold it, and I ordered new retracts. When I got them, one was shorter than the other one. So after some adjusting, the retracts are back in the plane and she is standing on her own. I still need to get a new servo arm for the retracts (which I suspect is why the wing was broke).

Now, I'm on to the last issue. This is the infestation of mud dobber nests within the fuse and wings. I'm telling you, these damn things are everywhere. And teh only way I can get them out is to rip all of the covering off of the wing. I also need to clearance the retract arms, so this could be a good thing that I'm replacing the covering. that and it's dirty as hell.

I also need to get new wheels. I had ordered retracts from TowerHobbies, but they were "90º retracts", and not 90º ROTATING Retracts. My oversight, but the ones I have are for a .60 size P51 or the like. I did order new wheels, and when I measured the old wheel (only one was with the plane when I purchased it) I measured .750", or 3/4". What I didn't see was the wheel was dished. So the part that actually goes over the axle is only .500" or 1/2". So I need to get yet another set of wheels for this damn thing.

Once all of that is done, I need to find some receivers for this plane as well as the other one that I purchased. I'm just going to run something like the AR6210 or something with a satellite. So if you have one, let me know.

But the plane is coming along. I'm going to pick up a new iron for the covering (I have no idea where mine is) as well as some red adn white covering for the other plane today. What sucks is, we just got some snow yesterday, and it's still snowing today. Oklahoma drivers and snow do NOT go well together. But I"m going to go out and get it and hopefully get some videos shot. I should have shot video of the wing repair, but I wasn't sure of what needed done, and I hate going into a video not knowing. So I didn't shoot it.

Let me know what you think.

Admiral

Sounds like a plan coming together, I bought a F4U years ago off Ebay it was about 36" crashed on its first flight after being hand launched into the ground, not having room in the house for it I stored it in the back shed and promptly forgot about it. When I came to pull it out a couple of years later ants had built a nest in it took weeks to get them all out. I then upgraded the motor etc with the electric from the Durafly F4U which is an 1100mm or 43" model, well what a rocket it didn't last long mainly because I hadn't flown fixed wing for about 20 years and the oval I fly on is too small for a model that size, especially one over powered and nose heavy. I've since replaced it with the Durafly model, I'll get around to flying it one day, but that's another story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0l_2ACiQlg

This video is a composite of several short flights not one flight.

Tony

Staff member
I will tell you this, my F4U scares the hell out of me lmao. High wing loading, could be nose heavy, not sure, and nitro powered. So if the engine dies, a dead stick landing on a war bird is very unlikely. But I will give it a go when I find a place big enough to fly the thing lol.

As for your flights, that thing seemed pitchy as hell. Are you sure it was nose heavy and not tail heavy? Either way, sorry about the way it ended. Been there too many times. And now you have me wondering about the new one lol.

Admiral

Hi Tony, yeah I'm sure it was nose heavy the CoG was only an inch or so behind the LE. A lot of the problem was the small oval and lack of practice for about 20 years, I should have started with a trainer, but I had it there and it had only cost me about $60 so what the hell I had a ball.

I'm looking for a better spot to fly the new one though.

Tony

Staff member
I hear you there. And I'm in the same boat. Need a larger place to fly. I may have to head down to a local airport to fly thing thing lol.

Top Bottom