Prop Project: Edge Rapair

Tony

Staff member
As you guys have read, I had a little mishap with my 50" Edge 540T Early Saturday morning. For those that have not read the other thread, I will recap.

I woke up at about 0500 Saturday morning because I wanted to head to the flying field before I headed over to the local airport for a Festival they had going on. So, I got up, made my coffee, drank it, and headed out the door. All my stuff was packed the day before, but that is another story that I won't get into lol. I get to the field and it's a picture perfect morning. The sun was still below the horizon, and the wind was non existent. So, I pull the Edge out of the car, and put the wings on. Look at the horizon, the sun is still not up, and the wind is still dead. Excellent!!!!

I fired up the radio and plugged in the battery. Checked all of my control surfaces... Everything is working great! Put the plane on the ground and taxi out to the runway. I aim my plane facing north, give it throttle, and its up. The flight was great for the first two minutes, then the trouble started. After I played for a couple minutes, the wind started to pick up, and at a pretty good pace. But the wind was not the issue, it was the direction. Our field is setup for winds out of the north, south, northwest or southeast. This morning, the wind came out of the east. when I cranked up, I was like "Oh crap!". There is just no where to land with wind like that. And still being new to this plane, I still bring it in with a little heat on it.

So, I finish out my flight and the whole time I had been looking for a place to land. I decided the north side of the field is where it could land best. So, I try it. First two times I had to pull out and try again cause of the plane bouncing around. The third one I had no choice but to land it. So I cut the throttle down a lot, the plane came down and made a beautiful landing. I'm sure you are asking "if it was a good landing, what do you have to fix?". Well, I'm not done. Right after it landed, it decided to cross the runway. I was ready for it to catch air again, but I was not ready for what happened next.

After that great landing, it was slowing down, then the wheels caught the edge of the runway. This cause them to fold back against their will lol. As you know, the Edge 540's do not have retracts, but the runway thought it would look better with them lmao. As you also know, the wheel pants are in a teardrop style. This is like a spike, and when they folded back, they went right through both wings. UGH.

I went over and picked up the plane and carried it to the pit table. I grabbed a hold of the canopy and lifted. Well, with the cold weather, and forgetting that I taped the canopy on, I crushed the canopy lol. Huge hole, and broke some wood. Ugh, I seriously thought about not going to the festival since I couldn't show my favorite plane, but I still had the Extra 260 mini in the car, so I decided to head over there after getting some chairs.

If you read through all of that, then I'm surprised lol. It's pretty boring, and all happened in about a blink of an eye. But takes forever to explain. Well today (Sunday) I decided to find all of the wood, grab the 15 minute epoxy, and have a hayday. And I did. I do apologize, but I do not have any pics of the crash, or any of the damage. I just didn't grab the camera, afterall I was pretty mad that I did that lmao. I realized after it happened where I should have landed, but it was too late.

So after putting on about 2 fl/oz of epoxy on the landing gear braces alone, it's drying. Should be stronger than it was, but I was not able to get the wood completely level. One landing gear will have to have a shim put in it to make the gears point forward at the same angle. Not a huge deal, just irritating lol. The plane is sitting on the floor right now on some paper towels just incase in drips (yes, I put that much epoxy on it lol). The canopy has been CA'd back together, and for the wings, I'm just going to put packing tape over the holes.

I didn't expect to have something like this happen so soon to this plane. Afterall, it's only the 5th flight on this plane. I figure that each flight is worth $5, I have $170 in the fuse, So if I can get 34 flights out of this plane, then it was worth it. After that, I can plow this thing into the ground and I will just pick up the pieces, remove the electronics, and order a new one. But this time, I have to fix it. It was minor damage, and I doubt anyone will even notice the damage when I'm done. I'm sure it will fly great once I'm done since I'm not doing anything to the flying surfaces. The holes will be exactly the same as they were with the tape over them.

This plane will be in the air again, I just don't know when. The weather sucks for at least the next week, so I will probably fly early in the morning when it's cold as a witches... Nevermind lol.

Tony

Staff member
Found out that the right wing had more damage on it than I thought. It only had a small hole in the bottom of the wing in the wood, but it pushed up the top piece. This broke the wing where it mounts to the fuse. I also lost the anti-rotation dowel in the back of the wing, so had to make one of those out of a 2mm spar. The epoxy is drying, if not dry now, the wings are fixed with packing tape, and the canopy is fixed with some glue and tape as well. Only thing to do now is take it out and fly it. But as posted above, that may be a while...

Tony

Staff member
You can only purchase monokote in rolls, and they are $15 and up. Plus, where the rips are, there are more than one color there. Packing tape works just as well, it's quick, and in the air, you will never see it. On the ground it does look like crap though lol. You will see it in the next video of mine that I just recorded. I used my Edge as my reference plane.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Oh ok. At my hobby store they have smaller sheets of it. They also have spray paint from monokote. it suposed to work well for tuching up spots. Have you looked into that? Man I love this new computer!

Tony

Staff member
I have not looked into any of this much since I'm just getting into all of it. I was actually thinking about totally recovering the whole plane, but decided against that since it's so little damage.

RandyDSok

I usually put covering on my Christmas list for the family to get for me... I list out the colors I need/want and let them take it from there. Since the majority of my planes are 3DHS.... I do specify that I want Ultracote instead of Monocote... but either are good products.

Whirlybird

Hey Tony . . . I have those pieces of red & black (left over from my Sig Kadet) I showed in my "Nostalgia" video. You can have those!

Tony

Staff member
I do appreciate that frank, but I need white and a funky blue lol. I have red and yellow though at the house. Maybe I should do a funky patch lol.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, fixed and even did a video of it. But you have already seen that, and yes, that was taken this morning after the repairs. I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. Although the wood where the gears bolt to didn't line up like it should have, and one gear is a little "tweaked" now, it should still roll just fine.

Tony

Staff member
haha, you could right after I did it. Wheel pants sticking through the wings, folded back under the plane, and scratches on the bottom of the cowl lol. But, it's ready to hit the air again after I put some epoxy on the battery tray. I found that it was a little loose while shooting the video. Now that I have the cowl off of it, I can get to it.

bvarney

Tony,
Use clear packing tape, get a small can of skin color paint, and paint them to look like bandaids! LOL
Make sure you don't pull the hair off your wings!! LMAO!!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
lmao. I figure I will just let the monokote flap in the wind around teh landing gears. Unless I already fixed it. Not sure and it's right above my head, literally lmao

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well if it's hanging above your head, and you think you allready fixed it. Then bind it to that new dx8 and go to the flying field, take video and FLY it!! Ha ha ha ha!

Tony

Staff member
I know it's fixed, just need to put the prop back on it. And I dont' have a flying field to fly at unfortunately. I have my field, but thanks to the rain and the cows, there are ruts that will swallow this bird lmao.

Tony

Staff member
I have not belonged to that club since about October of last year when my AMA ran out and didn't have the cash to renew it at the time. And with the lack of batteries, and no power out there, not worth the drive. I have some plans in the works to smooth out the field and put in a 3 way runway for any occasion.

Top Bottom