Prop Project Edge 540 Mini

Tony

Staff member
I have had this plane for quite some time now, and the time has finally come to put it in the air. The only thing that I will have to fabricate for this plane is the landing gears. Unfortunately, there is no one that sells them anymore, so I will have to make them out of aluminum. Not a big deal, I will just use the landing gear off the Extra 260 Mini as a template. The only thing different that I can tell is the bolt pattern. I will not be using wheel pants, so that takes a lot of headache out of the setup of this plane.

The motor is the Exceed Rocket Series 2215-1300, same as the Extra, and it will hover, I found that out last weekend. So I ordered one for this plane as well since they are the same size. It will also be swinging a 11x5.5 prop like the Extra. For those that don't know, the rule of thumb of a 3D plane is your pitch of the prop should be half your length. So a 12" would have a 6" pitch, 11 is 5.5", 10 is 5 and so on. This prop has proven to be more than enough thrust for this plane, and on the Extra, everything comes down cool to the touch. I could actually add more pitch to the prop if I wanted, but because it's a tail dragger, length is pretty much set where it's at. If I do want to try it, I do have an extra 12x6 that I purchased for my 50" Edge 540 that I could try. I also have a 13x8, but that is actually on my 50" Edge 540 lol.

The servos are the EXI D113F. The 113's are the exact same as the 213's, except they are plastic geared. I would have paid the buck extra for the 213, but they were out of stock. And weight is an issue on these.

I ordered aluminum control horns for this plane, and I think I will be ordering more. They are the perfect size, and look rather strong. I will just have to find some screws to put them on. I have a lot of servo screws laying around, but if those won't work, I will use 4-40's with a lock nut to hold them in place.

The ESC is the Proton 30a. I'm using the 40a on the Extra, but they were out of stock, so I decided that I would try the 30's. If I burn one up, I know not to do that again lol. But, these motors pull a max of 27 amps according to what the page says. If you do the math, at 11.1 volts, and the motor pulling 300 watts, the amp rating would be 27.03, so I should be safe. Just to make sure, I will see if someone will let me borrow their watt meter just to double check.

I will be using 2" foam light weight wheels on the plane front and rear. Battery just like the Extra will be a 2200mah 3s 35c pack. Radio equipment will be a DX8 and OrangeRx maybe. If I don't run the OrangeRx, then I will run the AR6210 that came with the DX8. Either this plane, or the Bipe will be getting an OrangeRx however, I'm running low on them lmao.

Below are the pics I took just after epoxying the wings together. Yes, this Edge Mini does not have removable wings. And yes, that sucks. But it's a great looking plane so I don't care. The real challenge will be putting the 50" Edge 540, The 40" Extra 260, the Edge 540 mini, and the Rogue 3D Bipe all in my Camaro at the same time and still leave room for me lmao. It will happen. How? I'm not quite sure yet.

IMG_5035.jpgIMG_5034.jpgIMG_5033.jpgIMG_5032.jpgIMG_5031.jpgIMG_5030.jpgIMG_5029.jpgIMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Started playing with this plane a little bit tonight after I got home, and the rudder is now glued into place, and the epoxy is drying on the horz stab. Once the epoxy is dry, I will glue on the elevators, and epoxy them together. Once that is done, then we can start installing electronics and get it ready to setup. Can't forget the landing gears though, still have to make those.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Since there is no landing gear, you should experiment with bungee launching!:hdbng:

Tony

Staff member
Last night, I decided to start working on this plane again. I have already custom made the landing gears and I have wheels on the plane, the servos are mounted and all of the hinges are glued. The motor box is weak so I'm going to add some 1/16" sheet to it for strength as well as put it where the battery and Rx will go. I still need to install the control horns and linkages and get a Rx in it to set it up. I'm hoping to have this one ready this weekend, but it's not looking good. I'm running out of Rx's lmao. I do need to put some extensions on the two rear servos, but the ailerons are good. I will say this, those landing gears need a good coat of paint lol. Raw aluminum just doesn't look right on this plane. I also need to get some decals made up for it. There is a LOT of white area just begging for advertisement. but, I will keep chugging away and try to get this plane ready to fly this weekend. Highs in the upper 70's with 5-10mph winds and sunny. You can't ask for more hehe. Yes, I will get video. If I can get someone out there to hold the camera, I will get it in HD, otherwise it will just be with my glasses like the last videos. But, it's still a video nonetheless.

Tony

Staff member
well looks like Travis and I are the only ones posting in this one. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

Okay this plane needed a lot to get ready for the air, and it's not completely done yet. As with the bipe, the tail wheel wire that I custom made is drying in the epoxy as I type this. Wind is calm, but I don't think I will be making it out there any time soon.

The bad thing about this plane is you have to epoxy the wings on so they are not removeable. This has me a little worried about strength but there is only one way to test that. Do a hard snap roll on the Maiden Flight hehe.

The engine cage mount is very weak on this one, and is the final item that I have to work on. I'm just going to take some sheet and glue it in place boxing it in. This should cure all issues with teh cage. The battery mount is very weak and I hope it's enough to hold this battery. There is no point to putting a strap around it because of this weakness. So what I did is stuff the canopy with foam to push down on it keeping it in place. I hope this works.

I did find that the landing gears, or where they mount rather, are very weak. Unfortunately the only way to repair this is to remove the covering and I really dont' want to do that. Once it breaks (and with my landings it will more than likely be the first landing lol) I will remove the covering and beef it up and epoxy everything. This will cure the weak issue once and for all. I also need to repair a spar in the front when I do the landing gear mount as well. These things are fragile lol.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
It doesnt look like there is a carbon fibre wing spar. How is the wing reenforced?

Tony

Staff member
Actually there is, but it's only about 2mm lmao. I don't even know why it has one. But, it's all spruce or some kind of hard wood that goes through the whole wing. This plane is supposed to be very light so it doesn't need as much strength as my big edge. Oh, and there is a crap ton of epoxy that is supposed to be used when putting the wings on. I should put some more on the wing where it goes inside the fuse.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, the plane is ready, the CoG is perfect without adding any weight, and the wind is supposed to come down later today. It's time to put this bird in the air. Now you know that I"m a fan of the Edge 540's, so this plane had better not crash. I love the colors on this plane as well. There is just something about the Orange on it that sets it off. I will try to get some pics of it before flying just incase something does happen.

For those of you that want to know, at full throws, I'm running 45º of throw on all surfaces. Dual Rate and Expo are as follows 0:50/35 1:75/45 2:100/55. This is the same on the Bipe as well. First number is the switch position, second is dual rate and third is expo for those that are just getting into this. This should prove very fun in the air, but i may turn the low rates down for general flying. And I may add a little for some 3D flying. Only time will tell once I know what they will do in the air.

I just found out that I have not just one extra Rx sitting here, but two. I forgot all about the other one. So now I need something else to put one of these into lol. Yeah, that will go over well with the wife. Either way, I will be putting a camera on this plane but I more than likely will not film from the ground. Not quite sure yet. If I can find another micro SD card I will do both. Sucks that one is in standard def though. We will just have to see what happens.

As in the other thread, I'm still looking for my paper bags... :emobag:

nikssehagal

Banned
I like the way of your explanation of the project of the plane is awesome.It would be very nice.I like it.I want to see your project work.If you have done your work then please post a image on this thread so i can easily see.I want to get some more information about this plane that how can you make it ?.So please reply.

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately, The Fliton Edge 540 Mini is no longer in production. It's sad that it's not because this thing flew great today on it's maiden flight. I had an issue with the rudder wanting to pop off the quick link clamp so I didn't do anything hard with it, just basic flying. My Extra however I got some onboard video of, and I think you guys will love the inverted flat spin hehe. Get your puke bag ready on that one.

I did get some pics of all 4 planes I took with me today and I will be posting them up shortly. If you are looking for a great kit, Nitroplanes has a killer deal on a 47" Edge 540 ARF for only $100. I almost got it just because it's normally $200. But, Decided against it. Pics and vids to come later.

nikssehagal

Banned
Okay, the plane is ready, the CoG is perfect without adding any weight, and the wind is supposed to come down later today. It's time to put this bird in the air. Now you know that I"m a fan of the Edge 540's, so this plane had better not crash. I love the colors on this plane as well. There is just something about the Orange on it that sets it off. I will try to get some pics of it before flying just incase something does happen.

For those of you that want to know, at full throws, I'm running 45º of throw on all surfaces. Dual Rate and Expo are as follows 0:50/35 1:75/45 2:100/55. This is the same on the Bipe as well. First number is the switch position, second is dual rate and third is expo for those that are just getting into this. This should prove very fun in the air, but i may turn the low rates down for general flying. And I may add a little for some 3D flying. Only time will tell once I know what they will do in the air.

I just found out that I have not just one extra Rx sitting here, but two. I forgot all about the other one. So now I need something else to put one of these into lol. Yeah, that will go over well with the wife. Either way, I will be putting a camera on this plane but I more than likely will not film from the ground. Not quite sure yet. If I can find another micro SD card I will do both. Sucks that one is in standard def though. We will just have to see what happens.

As in the other thread, I'm still looking for my paper bags... :emobag:

It is very nice that your plane is ready.You have a superb work.It would be very nice.I like it.Now I want to see your plane that how can you make it.So please post a image on this thread so I can easily see and thanks for giving information about this plane.So please reply and keep posting.

Tony

Staff member
The only pictures I have are the 3 below. This plane is the second from the left, or second from the top depending on what picture you are looking at. I will be uploading a video shortly.

IMG_0749.jpgIMG_0748.jpgIMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

nikssehagal

Banned
Wow It is so nice.It is unbelievable that you have made this PIane.I really appreciate your work.It is so preety.I want to see a video of 2nd plane from this row.If you have uploaded it then i am very thankful to you.So keep posting.

Tony

Staff member
Holy Old Thread Batman!!!

Thought I would bring this one back from the dead and let you guys know what has been going on with it.

Since this thread, I had since sold it to Matt (callsign) and he gave it back for fear of crashing it lmao. It sat in my living room for quite a while until recently when I went flying with Matt and flew it for the first time in a long time. The landing was less than impressive since I hadn't had my hands on the sticks in quite a while. So it sat once again. I couldn't fly it at my old house because of the field being way too over grown and way too rough.

Fast forward to just a couple weeks ago, and I finally got my membership back at the local flying field and have a place to fly it. so I tossed it up into the air. It didn't feel right so I brought it down and noticed the elevator was not on the same plane as the wings. Not good. Ah well, fly it anyway. After landing for the second time, I felt the motor and it was pretty hot.

another week goes by and I'm back out at the field. This time, I toss it in the air and start throwing it around a bit. After about 4 minutes of flying, landed and felt the motor. It burnt the hell out of my finger. Not good lol. Ah well, no magic smoke, so let it cool off and go again. I need to cycle these batteries.

Tried to buddy box with Willowsmith (new member on here) and for some reason, the cable wasn't working. So I decided to toss it up myself. This time, I noticed a lack of power. Interesting. So after a very short flight, I landed it dead stick, and ended up hitting the prop on the runway. Broke the tips off. Suck.

Matt and I were talking about why it over heated, and we are both thinking lack of air flow. So when I got home that day, I pulled ALL the electronics out of the Edge Mini and stuck them all in Ole' Reliable, the Extra 260. The Extra has a larger nose opening, a large vent hole in the bottom of the cowl, as well as large holes in the bottom of the fuse that are perfect for cooling this motor and ESC.

I'm going to try to get back out to the field again next weekend and test this motor out in the Extra to see if it was the motor, or if it was in fact an airflow issue. More to come soon!

Top Bottom