450 Project Align 450 Pro V2 Resurrection

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure you all remember the Align 450 Pro V2 that I purchased brand new from a vendor on eBay. I shot many videos of this helicopter as I was building it and once I was done building it, well, as usual, I got bored with it. That is when I put it up for sale here on the site, and it sold to a guy named Adam in Indiana.

Let a little time pass and after a few crashes and a lot of flights, Adam put it up for sale here on the site. That is when Matt, Callsign4223, purchased the helicopter and brought it back to Oklahoma. He flew it a few times but wanted something bigger, so we traded some aquarium stuff for the helicopter.

It was back in my hands after its trip around the country. A little worse for wear, but still a very good helicopter. Everything that had broke in the crashes had been replaced except for the canopy (which was in REALLY bad shape) but thankfully I was working with Kevin with NexRc at the time and he sent a crap ton of canopies my way just for this helicopter.

Fast forward, oh, about a year or so and I had only flown this helicopter a few times since I got it back. For someone that was just getting back in to flying, this heli had a bit too much power for me. I know, sad right? I had removed the 3GX and put on the AR7200BX which I HATED being up on the top of the tail boom block.

That is when URI stepped in. He had made a trade and received an Align Dominator 450 frame, tail boom and canopy. I decided to put that frame on the Pro V2 so that I could put the AR7200BX within the frame and hide all those friggin wires lol. And I did. But this helicopter is not the one that I built in the video. The frame is different, the canopy is different, the gyro is different and I really want it to be the same. After all of this upgrading, I want to put it back to stock.

And that is where we are today. During the live stream, I had to go out to the studio and get this helicopter so that I could remove the servo horns off of the cyclic servos and test fit them on the Goblin's servos. Unfortunately it didn't work, but it did get the helicopter back in the house where I could stare at it for a while.

After the show, it bugged me that the servo arms didn't work and I really didn't want to use the stock ones which split right down the middle live on air. So tonight after the show, I went out to the studio and started looking for more servo horns. Somehow, I found another pair of DS4 servo horns, but again, they don't fit. But I also found the original 3GX that came on this helicopter. The pot was broke on the gyro, but I had another. So I put the good 3GX in the 3GX box and came back inside.

That is where I sit now. More than likely tomorrow I'm going to remove the awesomeness that is the dominator frame and I'm going to put the stock frame back on it. I'm going to take the motor off of the top of the frame and put it back under the frame (man do I like it on top). And I'm going to go back to putting my batteries on the sloped nose of the frame instead of having that awesome slide in battery system that I had to purchase. Just sitting here writing this makes me not want to do it.

But that is what this site is for. What do you think I should do? Leave the Dominator frame on it and just stick the 3GX in there (either way, it's getting the 3GX) or put the stock frame back on it and suffer with old tech? What would you do in this situation?

vyrnguy

The PRO is a lighter frame than the Dominator, am I right?
If it is, go with the PRO.

Which ever you choose, make a video if you can :D

Tony

Staff member
Not sure how I missed this. Yes, the Pro frame is slightly lighter than the Dom frame. But, the Dom used a larger motor and 3 more cells in the battery as well. This I'm not doing. But, I don't fly on the edge anyway so weight is not that big of an issue.

I have had some time to think about this (a week actually lmao) and I just don't know if I can live without that battery sliding into the frame! That is about the best feature of this helicopter now!

Does anyone have a Pro frame laying around? Clone or Align, I don't care, I have parts. Well, I have 'some' parts lol. If you have a 450 pro frame laying around that you are not using, let me know and I will put the 3GX in that, and stick the AR7200BX in the Dom.

Top Bottom