FBL Gyro Program Governor

Matt

Anyone know if I can program the governor through the Microbeast?

I have a Trex 450 and a Microbeast

I've got a programming box for the ESC

It would be easier for me to program it though the Microbeast

I'm looking to set the slow start up option..

murankar

Staff member
If you have a hobbywing use that instead. The governor is the easiest to setup and is very good and reliable.

As for the micro beast goes; I don't know it so I can't help on that.

Matt

I've got a Hobbywing platinum ESC and the programming box.

There is a setting in the programming box to set the Start Up Mode to 1. Normal 2. Soft 3. Very Soft

(I'm guessing I set this to soft)

Also there is a setting to set the Governor Mode to 1. Governor low 2. Governor high 3. Governor Off

(I'm guessing I set this to Governor low?)

Tony

Staff member
Are you sure you are not seeing I and P on the governor? Those are your I and P gains (just like PID gains on a quad or something) so you can adjust for the best gov. The governor you want to run is called GovSto Or Governor Store. On this you will completely charge up your battery pack, set your throttle curve to exactly 50% all the way across, and you will spool it up with no pitch on the blades (if it is windy, you can put a little negative pitch on the blades), and then let it run on the ground for at least 20 seconds to 30 seconds. Once that is done, shut it down and set your throttle curve back to what you want it to be. You will now have an active governor.

For the soft start. Try Very Soft first and then try Soft and see what one you like better.

murankar

Staff member
Soft start should be at soft or very soft. I would choose soft.

Now for the governor you want heli gov mode. Here is the kicker , I can't remember which is the one where set the throttle to 50% let it run for about 30 seconds and shut down.

Cyclone 7

I have the 60A Platinum V4 and the HW programme box but still handed the governor control & programming over to my AR7210BX. I am very happy with the outcome but I imagine it is one of those choices that comes down to personal preference - 'different strokes for different folks' and all that!

Matt

I tried the very soft and like that better than the soft start..

I can take the programming box to the place where I fly and change the values

It's not easy to determine without having the blades on it

Cyclone 7

I can change all my governor settings through the BX on site, without the programming box or anything else. Just the small manual to check settings choices - one of the reasons why I use the BX's governor option.

Matt

I was going to program it through the Microbeast but it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other..

Cyclone 7

True and that is why I said that it is a matter of personal preference. All I will say is that I have found the BX's governor very good indeed in terms of being very smooth and precise - every bit as good as the ESC's(I happen to think that the BX is better but that is purely a personal opinion after having tried out both options).

Matt

This is the first time I've programmed an ESC

Honestly I didn't even know I could program them until about a month ago

I have that card for the Microbeast.. The orange one.. I've been meaning to make copies of it because I don't want to lose the original.. I would say the Microbeast is quite the piece.. There are about 30 different programming options.. I've been meaning to set the control style..

I've primarily been flying my 150x

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
(I happen to think that the BX is better but that is purely a personal opinion after having tried out both options).

I can attest to that. I think the FBL governor can react much quicker to rpm changes. I've tried both but to me the ESC programming is easier...
T

murankar

Staff member
Once the hobbywing is set up there is no need for the box. The HW will need the blades on to set the headspeed at 50% throttle. Here is a video of how to do it.

Its really that easy. Plus if take the prog box with you then you get a cell checker also. So its not just for the esc.

I have never used a modern BX gyro with a governor so I can say how good it is. As for the hobbywing goes I have used it and the Mikado Neo for governing. When in first got the hobbywing i used it because I didn't know anything about the Neo gov setup. The heli sto mode is a no muss set up. You don't need to know anything about your set up other than degrees and pwm. That's it, no pole counts, gear ratios or anything else.

As for gov reaction time, if it feels like its lagging on collective changes or during disk loading then you need to tune the gov. It shouldn't lag all that much.

One thing to note with governors, this is across the board all governors. No governor in immune to this. An improperly tuned governor may and will cause tail issues that will cause male pattern baldness. So before doing anything with a governor ensure your tail is dial in rock solid.

Last edited:

Matt

I did some research on this and found I will need to buy a rpm sensor. I don’t have an rpm sensor on my ESC. The 50 amp Castle I have had a built in rpm sensor, but not the ESC on my heli.

For the time being I’m programming the ESC with the hobbywing LCD programming box

murankar

Staff member
I don't think you need a sensor for that esc. You just need to configure it for your motor. If anything you need to tell it how many poles you have and set your pwm and degrees offset.

Tony

Staff member
I thought the 50a hobbywing had the rpm sensor. It's a single yellow wire. If not, just use the governor in the ESC. They are fantastic and it is all I run with the helicopters that I have the HW ESC's on.

Top Bottom