General Program ESC or FBL First?

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I'm getting ready to install and wire the CC Edge 120HV ESC and iKON FBL on my Goblin. Is the ESC throttle lead plugged into the iKON prior to programming the iKON?

pvolcko

I'd start the Ikon off with nothing but the BEC power lead(s) going to the ikon along with the USB connection. The setup will guide you with what connections to make and when. I always choose the setting I want (which sat/Rx type, which servo settings, etc.) before connecting the peripheral to ensure I don't have a bad default setting that might damage something.

Throttle doesn't need to be connected up (or even powered) until you are complete with Ikon setup. Then you'll have to fire up the ESC with the throttle cable plugged into a castle link to program it with the computer. Set it for helicopter mode, normal mode (not setRPM or governor mode) to do endpoint setup with the Ikon (there are threads on this already I believe, let us know when you get there or do a search for them). Once endpoints are set, you can go back into the ESC software and set it for governor mode and do that setup, along with motor freq and timing advance setup. Do a test spin up on the bench and make sure the motor is turning the right direction. If wrong, you can reverse in ESC software or swap two of the motor leads. And that should be it for a first go.

You'll come back into ikon software for tweaking flight mode bank settings and possibly into the ESC software to adjust gov gains, motor freq/timing settings, to enable and try auto-rotation recovery feature, etc.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
To setup the iKON properly does it have to be powered exactly the way it will be powered on the bird i.e. BEC or can I power it with just a 2S Rx battery for bench setup?

Power is power, correct? Just not sure how sensitive the iKON is????

Last edited:

pvolcko

Power is power. 2S Rx pack will be fine for bench setup. That's what I do, saves from having to pull blades all the time for safety.

Top Bottom