Trucks Product Review: 1/12th Scale Truggy From GearBest.com

Tony

Staff member
Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I don't know what got in to me, but I saw this truck and I just had to give it another go. However, I wanted to do some work on it first.

The first thing I did was blow off all of that crap that was on it in the end of this video. I never cleaned it off. And since I shot that video, the truck has been in the same place until today.

I remembered the diff was just stupid tight and the shocks suck. Well, short of purchasing $40+ worth of shocks for it, I'm SOL there. So I decided to work on the diff.

The transmission on this thing has way too many gears IMO. It also has two covers. the first cover is over the motor pinion, and idler/reducer gear, then a transfer shaft. Under the other cover is the transfer shaft, another reducer gear then the diff. Well, the diff is what I wanted.

I took apart the rear end and pulled that diff out. 4 screws and it came apart and that is when I got a little more angry. On the side of the box it states it has a metal diff. And the output gears are metal, but the diff gear is plastic and the 4 spider gears are plastic. Whatever, I'm going to destroy it no matter what it's made out of lol.

I found out that the output gear where it screws onto the output cup was way too tight on the case. I took 1mm off the case and it was much smoother. No more sound that you hear in that video when I spin the diff. In fact, I can spin one wheel and it spins like that for a while. So the diff is fixed until I destroy it by putting in a 3s lipo lmao.

So I took it outside and went for a spin. It only lasted about a minute and very slow since I never recharged the battery from the last time I drove it in the video. So I put it back on that charger and here we are waiting another 6 hours...

So once the battery was charged, I put it in the truggy and we went out to do a little ground pounding. And yup, having that diff like it's supposed to be made a HUGE difference! I have much more traction now. And it goes through turns way better and turns tighter and doesn't push. So I beat the ever loving crap out of it for a while as the Yorkie was chasing it lmao.

Well, about 4 minutes in, something let go and it started slowing down. Once I got it back to me, it was spinning like the pinion came loose from the motor shaft. I didn't hear any gears grinding and yet, there was no power but the motor was spinning.

I took it inside and tore into the trans. I only looked under the cover for the motor pinion and there was nothing wrong. I held the pinion with a pair of pliers and it just locked up the motor. The pinion was not loose. So I put it back together.

I put it down on my slick kitchen floor and it was doing nothing but burnouts. So then I put it on the carpet and it's hooking up big time. Almost pulling the front wheels off the ground.

The only thing that I cna think of is that the motor was getting hot which heated up the aluminum pinion gear causing it to slip on the shaft. Looks like I need some green thread locker.

I'm trying to decide if I should shoot a video on how to smooth out the diff. What do you all think? Should I do it? Because I'm going end up putting a 3s lipo in it which is going to increase the voltage which is more than likely going to strip out every gear and burn up the motor. And at that time, I'm going to find a way to put a brushless setup in it. I just need to find a motor small enough to put in it. I think a 450 helicopter motor will work hehehe.

trainrider06

Thats a pretty cool little truck! Probably be great for someone thinking about entering the hobby! Heck I wouldn't mind having one to mess around with!

Tony

Staff member
The green one like I have is only $36 or something cheap. And with the mod that I did to the diff, it's actually a fun car. I'm still pissed that they lie about things like foam filled tires (makes a HUGE difference) and steel diff. But, it is what it is when you order from china. The red one however is almost double the price. Exact same price though. Doesn't make sense.

Tony

Staff member
Just ordered some new shocks for this truck. We will see if it really makes a difference. If they fit... It's a crap shoot lol.

Tony

Staff member
I have one, but I also have a 4000kv motor from an EDF as well that I think will fit if I can find a pinion for it. Then, I would need to find steel gears for the trans and diff and steel output drives and driveshafts (dogbones).

Oh yea, before I do any of this, I need to glue the tires to the wheels. but I need to find some foam to put in the tires first. Man, foam filled tires and oil filled shocks would make this truck almost perfect. Especially for the price!

trainrider06

Petty cool Tony, Dangit another toy I want! That thing screamed with the lipo! Funny wating that dog chase it too!

Tony

Staff member
Yea, that's Lady, my grandma's Yorkie. She used to chase helicopters until she got hit in the nose by the 150. Now, I put a heli in the air and she goes the other way lol. I was flying the 450 one day and she was ducking under the blades to nip at the canopy. I couldn't get those blades stopped fast enough. I had held it in the air as long as I could trying to get her away from it. But she never got hit by the 450 or the 600, but not without trying (her, not me lol)

And yes, it did get a little faster with the 3s vs the 3 cell Lithium Ion batteries (9.6v, each cell looks like a AA battery). Just need to get that pinion fixed.

Top Bottom