General Problems with brown outs

northerntreat

Hi my name is Larry,
I'm having trouble with brown outs. I have crashed twice when I lost all power.
For troubleshooting after the last crash, the spectrum was flashing this is why I say problem is a brownout.
I ran it while holding on the ground and the ESC got hot and kicked the motor off.
I thought maybe to big a prop, so I took prop off and ran it without a prop. The motor got real hot but the speed controller (ESC) didn't.
So then I ran it with a small prop blowing on the ESC and it seemed to work good.
This tends to make me think it needs more air flow.
Is this correct thinking? Does anyone have any ideas that might help.
Thanks

Tony

Staff member
This sounds a lot like you need to get a bigger ESC and possibly a bigger motor. If the ESC is getting too hot, it can and will shut down as you have seen. Depending on how hot it gets, it could shut the BEC portion of it down thus causing a "brown out" and you will lose all control.

If this were my plane, I would put a watt meter on the plane with the suggested prop. Find out what the amp draw is on the motor, then get an ESC that is 10 amps above that.

If this is a true brown out, then you are losing the connection between the Tx and Rx. If this is the case, then you need to run a satellite Rx and move everything as far away from the other electronics, including servos, as you can.

Below is my video on matching motor battery & ESC. It will explain what I mentioned above.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Also a main hobbies sells a brown out suppressor. Not to expensive and maybe worth it if you have the extra channel.

Top Bottom