Problem with my hand

Lee

Just been to the doctor today to check some lumps in my hand. Seems i have Dupuytrens Disease. Its a tightening of the tendons in your hand causing you not to be able to open your hand. Its not curable but it can be operated on if problems arise.
Lucky for me, they say it doesn't effect the thumb and forefinger, so flying RC should be ok, phew!!!!
Not the best news as i'm a kitesurfing instructor, so my hands are quite important.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
My Dad one time had to have the channels that the tendons run thru in his hands scraped clean of depostis. They were causing those symtems.

stokke

I'm very sorry to hear that Lee. I read the disease has various degrees of severity - let's hope yours is mild. Good luck buddy :)

Graham Lawrie

Sorry to hear that Lee. As an ageing rock climber I understand where you are coming from. I had a carpal tunnel op, and have trigger finger and tennis elbow. Not good when I still want to climb. A friend who does physio for footballers cured the trigger finger . Make a sign like ok with thumb and index finger and rotate 360 at the wrist. Tennis elbow is nearly away. I have had both for about 5 months . Doctor could only give pain killers.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
Sorry to Hear Lee .... I am sure you will adapt where possible .... a man of your determination and Eye hand coordination .... will figure out some way to do it!

treff

Sorry to hear of your problem Lee. My friend Tony suffered from the same problem. He had a small op and now he can hold a pint again. Hope yours is the milder version and does not effect your profession.

Lee

Thanks guys,
It can take from 6 months to 20 years to get bad, so i got a few more flights in me yet LOL :D Anyway if it really does get to the point of inhibiting finger movement, i'll be straight under the chopping block :D

RMB677

Sorry to hear about this Lee. Hope it is slow in developing further. Every so often I have a touch or arthrits act up in my hands and I know what not being able to grab things is like.

Ken Jackson

Sorry Lee! Life sure has more twists and turns then I ever thought it could. Its harder when its the people close to you but damn life is sure hard!!

Hang in there. My aches and pains are from 30 years as a diabetic.

Ken

Mate sorry to hear that Lee.
Chin up and make the most of it while you can. You sound like you're doing that anyway!!
Mate here's hoping it's years away before anything major happens and that flying will always be an option

Tony

Staff member
Damn, seems medical issues are picking us off one at a time. Here's hoping it sits dormant or is a quick surgery to fix it.

Lee

Thanks to all of you for the best wishes.
I'm not worried. There are millions of people out there with far more problems than me and my hand. By the time i maybe have problems, they'll have RC models controlled with the mind :D LOL Actually they already do. I saw a video on youtube somewhere.

Westy

LEGEND
Funny you say that..... My good fried .. led a team on techs on a project to develop the first in the world to telepathically control a heli at a conference.... she works WOrkd at a pharmaceutics company .... it took 9 months to develop ..... ant is was totally awesome!

Top Bottom