Power Supply's Power suply pins and connections

erut800

Hello. I have a 4 Supermicro 1000W Switching Power Supplyes PWS-1K01-1R . How do I identify switching pins. And can I put 2 together for 24v and onother 2 (24v) in parallel toget doble amps and power. I am planning to run 2 1000w hyperion chargers 840i.

Tony

Staff member
As for the pin out to turn it on, you will just short PS-ON with the com pin. This should turn the psu on. And I mean one of the little pins, not the large blade even though they are the same thing.

As for putting them together in series, I don't know the dangers of this PSU and I don't know if you will have to break the DC ground on one of them so that you don't get shocked if one goes bad. On the PSU's that I use, you have to disable the DC ground on one of them. Which I did and it works fine.

And as for connecting two in series (for 24 volts) and then two in parallel (for 2000w), again this is going to depend on having to break the DC ground (or should I say isolate it). I have no experience with this PSU so I wouldn't know how to break that ground and render it safe if it shorts out.

26_1237842407.jpg

26_1237842407.jpg

erut800

I am sorry, but how do I know whitch 3 pins are ps-on. and when you say one of the little pins, do you meen 24 pins in the middle ? also on the front of the power supply there are 6 connections to the left of the 24 pins and 3 connectors to the right of the pins. I assume that 3 connectors are ac input. on the oposit side there are only 2 fans.

Tony

Staff member
lmao, I forgot to upload the picture. My bad. I have edited the last post and put it in there.

erut800

Thank you. Great. I assume that I can connect 120 to 230 ac , and does it meter witch AC is white wire and witch is black. Also I understand com dc means negative.

Tony

Staff member
Since it's alternating current (AC), it shouldn't matter what way you put the wires on it. But look inside and see what color those wires are and match them. If you don't know, black is hot, white is common and green or bare copper is ground for household wiring. Again, just in case you didn't know.

Tony

Staff member
About the 120 to 240. If the PSU requires 240v AC, then that is what you are going to need to use. Unless it is a switching input. Some have a switch that you can flip. Using 120v AC on a 240, you won't be supplying enough power.

erut800

And com dc is negative? Alsow , is the ps-on pin always located at this position for all types of power supplies or it is different . I sow some ps have 3 in diagonal .?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, comm is DC negative.

And the power on pins will differ with each PSU you get your hands on. For instance, the image below is what my pinout is like on my PSU's. So each one you get, you will have to get a pin out or a schematic of the PSU to know what one will turn it on. This mainly applies to the server PSU's as computer PSU's usually have a green wire you just jump to ground to turn them on.

Pin Short.jpg

Pin Short.jpg

erut800

If I will connect 2 ps to get 24v will I loos the wattage or only amps. now it is 83a will become 41.5a. the chargers max charge amps is 40a. Do you see any problem?

Smoggie

Connecting in series doubles the volts but amps stays the same. Parallel doubles the amps but volts stay the same. Watts double in either case.

It's absolutely essential that if connecting in series you isolate the internal earth connection on the second PSU. If you don't it will just go 'bang' when you power it up. If you aren't sure of any of this you might want to think twice about doing this sort of project, getting it wrong could quite literally prove fatal.

erut800

When you say 'bang', do you mean if something goes wrong inside of a ps. I have alredy build one set of 2 ps. it was 5 years agow. They are sitting inside the tool box. Two cellpro8 are connected to these set up 2 pluses and 2 mines. it works great all this years. I want to build a new 2 sets just for home use. this new chargers have a wify, so I can monitor the charging from my cellphone. My point is I had help with the first set and they never isolate anything. This one I whant to build myself and I am glad that you telling me this.

Smoggie

Yeah, the PSU would short out and possibly catch fire but it is only a problem if you wire the PSU's in series for 24V (maybe the ones you have a parallel for 12V)?.

The 'problem' is that in a standard PSU the DC output is negative is grounded to the case and the case is grounded to earth via your wall socket plug. When you connect two PSU in series the negative of the second PSU is raised to the output voltage of the first PSU (+12V). If the negative of the second PSU is still grounded then it will short circuit to earth, blow the PSU and maybe catch fire.

There are two way to 'fix' this.. a dangerous way and a safe way.

• The dangerous way is that you remove the ground connection from the plug that connects to the second PSU. This works but if the cases of the two PSU's ever touched you would get a short circuit. Also if you had a fault on the A/C side of the second PSU you might get electrocuted because the PSU is no longer grounded.
  • The safe way is the 'float' the DC negative ground connection. To do this you need to open up the second PSU and find out where the DC side of the board is grounded to the case and break the connection. For your PSU i cant help with this as i dont know where that connection is.

erut800

the charger is showing 24v input. the wire connects + and - dc. then + from one ps and - from the other. Also do I connect just 2 pins or 3 (the second com )

erut800

I read one of your replies , where you sad that to check a dc ground I can connect dc negative to a outside body . Do I understand this correctly. And did you mean OMs

Smoggie

No, what i meant is that DC negative is connected to ground internally inside the PSU. You should be a able to prove that with a multimeter checking for resistance between DC negative and the case.

This is normal for any PSU but it's a serious problem if you have them connected in series because the negative of the second series PSU is raised to the output voltage of the first (+12V) meaning it would short circuit to earth.

erut800

on my current set up there is no continuity. when I will receive new ps , I will check. And pins , I understand , just 2 pins.

erut800

Hi. I received my new psu. And this ones are grounded to a body with 4 scrues. The problem is that its not just a scrue, there is also a raised pease from the buddy that goes into the hall of the inside chasy. I gess I have to cut thouse 4 , to level and then may be use plastic scrues. Do you have a thought?

Top Bottom