Projects Power on/off switch for my trex 500 electric.

bbj

I was in the process of fine tuning my setup of my Trex 500pro Dfc and getting the power turned on while holding down the button on the 3gx was not that easy. I tried plugging the battery leads together with one hand which was almost impossible. Then I tried plugging in the lead to my 3gx from the ESC which worked but began worrying about damaging the connector or 3gx. That's when I thought of putting on the heli a toggle power on/off switch. At first I was thinking I needed a high amp switch because I was thinking of spicing in the switch from the battery to the Esc. After thought decided not to do it that way.

Instead I took the low voltage/amp line from the Esc that powers my 3gx or receiver. Its a thin 3 wire lead, white/red/black, with the connector attached which plugs into my 3GX. Lying around from my HO railroad hobby days were some toggle switches I had purchased over 20 years ago from Radio Shack. They were used to power on the tracks to a turn table to allow the locomotive to run or not run while on each track. They are mini SPST toggle switches.

To shut of or on power to the 3GX I needed to spice the red center wire. First I carefully separated near where the switch was to be mounted the 3 wires. I then cut the red center wire soldered 2 short wires, about 2" leads, to each end of the cut red wire. Make sure not to forget to put your shrink tubing onto the wires prior to soldering the leads to the toggle switch and the cut red wire. The toggle switch works just like your light switch in your home by cutting the power line.

Now I can plug my battery to the Esc and attach the canopy without disturbing my 3GX gyro. Since it needs to be stationary during its start up to zero the gyros. I can now place my helicopter in its takeoff location, turn on my transmitter, put on my throttle hold switch prior to flipping the switch which turns on power to the 3GX. Every thing and every one is safe while handling the helicopter since no power is to the motor or 3GX.

Hope this explains how I did it. BBJ
20150122_144044.jpg20150122_143638.jpg20150122_143456.jpg

20150122_144044.jpg

20150122_143456.jpg

20150122_143638.jpg

Lee

It seems like a good idea, but the reason people don't use switches on there models, is because it's an unnecessary point of failure.
If you are going to use a switch, i'd use a purpose made switch that can't be knocked accidentally.
Like this one
$_35.JPG

Tony

Staff member
That switch that Lee posted is made for a nitro plane, and the port on the right is used to charge the Rx pack with it still in the plane.

But great write up.

One thing to note, you had said that you were trying to get into DIR mode while doing this, and that is what brought you to the conclusion of the switch. Just a note, you have 2-3 seconds from teh time you plug the battery in until you can get your finger on that button to enter DIR mode. In my DIR mode video for the 3GX, you see how I plug the battery in, and then I push that switch. Took me a bit to learn that I could do that.

bbj

Thank you for both of your inputs. I did look into getting a switch like the one Lee posted but thought to use what I had around. I may look into a push switch some day.

Top Bottom