700 Power cycling Castle 160 Edge HV

This is the latest, it appears to be random. Was flying and 4.5 min into it the power just died. Then I tried to fly a few minutes later and this is what it was doing. The power is cycling. I have a Castle 160 Edge HV with Scorpion HK-4525/520KV. I happened once before but the next day I flew two batteries. I am thinking it is temperature related but the first time it happened it was the first flight which rules out my theory.

First video is when the power quit around 4. minutes into it.
[video=youtube_share;Pka0uBxgtII]https://youtu.be/Pka0uBxgtII[/video]

Power cycling

[video=youtube_share;x3eda8a3UPo]https://youtu.be/x3eda8a3UPo[/video]

Smoggie

I had Exactly the same problem with my Compass 7HV when I first built it. That was using a cheap Hobbyking YEP 120. I tried everything, checked all connections, 'played' with all the settings, nothing made a jot of difference. In the end I swapped it for another ESC (by coincidence a Castle Edge) and the problem was solved.

So based on my experience of what seems to be the same or a very similar fault you are going to have to send the ESC back to Castle to get checked out and fixed.

here's mine doing it's 'stuff':

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much will it cost to have it send to Castle. I flew one battery but I have done that before and then on the next flight it cuts off.

Derek

You can always call them and ask what their rates are. Here is some contact info for Castle Creations:

540 North Rogers Road, Olathe, Kansas 66062, USA
phone: (913) 390-6939 • fax: (913) 390-6164

Thanks for the info Derek

I went to the field today, on the first battery the soft cutoff was enabled. Looking at the log the throttle input went down when it should not since I have a flat curve. I have a BD3SX with two spectrum satellite. I wonder if the signal between TX and RX glitched causing the dip in the throttle. I think it is unlikely but possible. After that I put 3 batteries with no issues. Planning on going back tomorrow so will see how it goes. I am thinking maybe re-position the satellites.

Smoggie

A flying buddy of mine had endless problems when running Speky satellites on his BD3SX which caused similar power cutting symptoms (though it never caused the surging shown in the second video). We tried everything including upgraded uBEC, capacitor connected to BD3SX, new ESC and nothing improved it. In the end he got so frustrated that he split up and sold the heli. Reading the forums many have the same BD3SX/sat issues and the only fix appears to be to use a standard Spektrum receiver rather than satellites.

Although the BD3SX / satellite issue would perfectly explain the random and occasional power losses I'm not sure it explains the continuous surging?

Changed a setting in the ESC dont remember now. I am now in Steamboat CO when I get back on the 10th I look and post. Should had done that, sorry.

Top Bottom