Playing with the airbrush

Boogs

I decided to add color to my 230S, help with orientation and did some color for my friends 450X. Now if it ever stops raining....

DSCN2747.JPG

DSCN2780.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Not quite my style, but should do what it needs to do none the less. Shouldn't have an issue seeing it now lol.

Smoggie

I've been playing with my airbrush too, my son built an electric guitar when needed painting. I used acrylic paints first time round which was a bit of a disaster because it wouldnt fully dry. Even after leaving it for weeks gripping the guitar would leave finger marks... So all the paint and lacquer had to come off. We have now got hold of some professional 2 pack '2K' auto paint. This still wasn't straightforward because my Badger airbrush doesn't cope with the thicker 2K paint.... So I've had to get a spray gun intended for car repair work.

I should get started on the re-paint next week, it's not a heli but the painting method would work just as well on a heli.

Tony

Staff member
If you are using lacquer based paints, you can thin them down pretty good to spray through an airbrush. I have had to do this on many occasions.

Boogs

Along with getting the paint to the right consistency, using the right tip and needle helps. For the thicker paints try using the biggest tip/needle you have. You may also have to crank up the air pressure.

Smoggie

The little Badger brush airbrush only has one size of needle, it's really for doing artwork, not the sort of painting I was attempting. I cranked the air pressure all the way up to 60+psi which helped a bit but still it was a struggle. I did manage to get a coat of paint on, but it took ages and the airbrush kept clogging. It's just not the right tool for the job, the new spray gun will be much better I'm sure.

With the 2K paints use of more thinner isn't really an option.

Boogs

Yes, airbrushes do have their limitations. An automotive touch up gun is versatile , you'll get lots of use in the years to come.

Admiral

You've got me, been thinking about it for a while, finally ordered an airbrush so that I can do my own canopies, spray cans just don't do a great job. :arms: :ebay:

Boogs

It only took me several years, couldn't make up my mind. Siphon or gravity? Single or dual action? Finally settled on dual action and got siphon and gravity guns. I'm running two water separators just to be sure.

Admiral

I'm starting with Dual Action / Gravity feed, I already have a range of water based paints that I bought about a year ago when I saw them on special.
My compressor already has a water separator but I may add another if I have any issues.

Boogs

Good choice. I added the second separator with regulator for convenience. I can fine tune the air pressure where I'm painting and have the second separator for added piece of mind. As far as it goes, I don't think rattle cans will be eliminated, but it's easier to do the smaller work with the airbrush.

Tony

Staff member
You've got me, been thinking about it for a while, finally ordered an airbrush so that I can do my own canopies, spray cans just don't do a great job. :arms: :ebay:
Let me know what you think about the ebay guns. I need to get another one, but really don't want to spend $250 on one lol.

Admiral

Let me know what you think about the ebay guns. I need to get another one, but really don't want to spend $250 on one lol.

The airbrush should be about two weeks away, I'll let you know when it arrives.

Top Bottom