General Pitch Variation At Neutral

Harford

A question about basic set up . I am preparing my Align 450 L DFC for flight after no use for some time. Checking the pitch at mid stick the best I can get is one blade at 0 degrees (good) and the other at -0.4. Adjusting the links which is a full turn changes the result by a full degree so I can't see how I can do better. Is this variation acceptable/typical on an Align heli ?
I would add that I can keep on rechecking the result, at the same time moving from full positive pitch to full negative and often get some variation in the mid stick pitch (.02, .o3 degrees). This heli has little use so slop resulting from wear should not be an issue.
I would appreciate views on if this is acceptable. I am using an Align digital pitch gauge
Many thanks

Smoggie

I'd not expect one link turn should not make 1 degree difference, usually it's about half a degree? .When checking the pitch you need to have the FBL in setup mode (the part of setup where you adjust the arms to level). If you try to adjust the pitch when the FBL is in normal operating mode you wont get consistent results because the FBL keeps making compensations due to heli movement.

0.02-0.03 is nothing to worry about

Admiral

I agree with Smoggie not enough to worry about, when I had my 450L I replaced the links with Turnbuckles and still didn't get it much better than that.

Harford

Many thanks both of you. A good observation Smoggie, I was not checking the pitch in set up mode. I need to research this some more - I think step G in the BeastX set up procedure. I was also wrong saying a variation of .02/.03 of a degree. Should have been 0.2/0.3 of a degree. Right now the reading I am getting at mid stick in normal (flight) mode is 0.1 on one blade and -0.3 on the other

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Your right on letter "G" of the BeastX Hartford. With those reading I wouldn't worry. Once you start setup with one blade, you should stay with that blade to the end of the setup. You'll never get perfect...just close.

Harford

Thank you for this. Perhaps you can help me with BeastX Setup point G. I understand the servo selection procedure, adjusting each servo to 90 and making sure the swashplate is level. It is just the procedure after this in order to check the pitch at mid stick that I am confused about, ie what do I have selected at point G (and what should the status light show) when I am checking the pitch ? I did try to do this but there was no response from the servos so I could not move to mid point. Clearly there was something I should have selected.

Thanks again

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'll do my best to help. Your trying to get the blue light special light at 6 degrees. A lot of members couldn't get the blue light and 6 degrees to work so don't worry about the blue light. Just get close but make sure you get 6 degrees cyclic pitch on letter "J". Letter "G" is where you need to get the swash level, the servos @ 90 degrees and the cyclic servo links all the same size. Remember that all these numbers are reference #'s. Make sure your heli is sitting on a level surface. Letter "G" is one you need to get right before moving on. For the response on no servo movement. Once you're in letter "G", move the rudder stick and this is where you adjust the servo arm up or down. Once you get 90 degrees, move the rudeer stick again and adjust the next servo and so on. This might help or con fuse you. Good luck!

Harford

Many thanks again. I am ok with setup point G in so far as I have servos at 90 and swash plate level. I am also ok with setup point J, the 6 degrees and I have the blue light. My confusion is only where and how in the setup procedure I check the pitch at mid point. I have done this outside the set up menu (ie in normal flight mode) and have the results I mentioned above. I think every thing is ok. Thank you again for your help

Top Bottom