450 Pitch Curves for dx6i

EastR84

Close to getting my trex 450 v.2 pro in the air and wondering about optimal pitch curves for beginners on collective pitch birds. I have a dx6i and currently have 9.7 deg of positive and 8.8 deg as my range, with zero degrees at mid-stick. Ideas for pitch curves? I've heard that keeping all positive pitch (and minimal cyclic) is the best for beginners-- (and with Align 3GX, this is all done in DIR mode?)

jac_2012

Hello if these starting at I recommend the following pitch curves-3 / + 5 / + 10and for the gas I would unasa 2800 rpmsand a step flat curveBest regards

Tony

Staff member
I would get your pitch setup first. Your swash is a little too high so I would go down on them one turn on the swash links. Once you do that, put it back to mid stick and readjust the grips to 0º.

Once you are done, make sure you have 10-11º of pitch on collective and 8º on cyclic. This is a must if you are running v2.1. To check your cyclic pitch, put the heli at mid stick in idle up (or where ever you have 50% on the curve). You will check your aileron by having the blades in the same orientation as the tail boom. Put your pitch gauge on the blade and give full aileron input. It should be right at 8º. To check the elevator, put the blades perpendicular to the tail boom and give full elevator. Again, 8º. No more, no less. This is so the gyro knows how much total throw it's giving the blades.

Hope this helps. As for pitch curve, do what URI stated.

Derek

What I'm going to post here is coming from a beginner...me. I'm getting better and more confident, but still a beginner for sure.

On my 500, my throttle curve is now flat at 0,75,75,75,75 and my pitch curve is exactly what murankar posted above, 45, 47.5, 50, 75 and 100. Being the beginner that I am, I've not even messed with any negative pitch.

Good luck!

Tony

Staff member
One thing to note here is both of you are using "GOOD" ESC's. Meaning they have a very good slow start. Running a 0 75 75 75 75 can be done on those because of the slow spool up. However for those that using cheap ESC's such as Hobbywing or Proton have a very crappy slow start and it could cause the heli to spin around on spool up.

murankar

Staff member
I agree with tony on the throttle curve. I have a detrum 35 amp esc sitting in a box. When I was using it I had a terrible slow start. I would get a tail jerk and I had to use rudder pitch to keep the tail from spinning during spool up. My normal mode throttle curve was linear: 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100; my Id1 and id2 were 100, 100, 85, 100, 100.

Now that I have a high quality esc the only thing I changed was the throttle curves for id1 and id2. Id1 is now 80, 80, 75, 80, 80; id2 is unchanged. I think now I have a "sport mode" and a "3D mode" setup.

If you have the super combo kit then you have a high quality esc along with everything else being top notch.

My pitch curves are still as I mentioned earlier and with the new esc I have a spool up that is way more smooth.

EastR84

Tony, do your settings apply to v1.2 on the 3GX? My bird shipped with that version and I haven't updated it yet. And probably a longer conversation, but for beginners is there a 3GX version anyone recommends?

Tony

Staff member
Throttle curves don't depend on the version of firmware you are running. However when you go to v2.1, you will HAVE to set your cyclic to 8º, no more, no less. And I would think v1.2 is easier for beginners because there are buttons for the beginners in the menu.

Top Bottom