General Pilot error?

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey guys, any experienced fixed wing guys who could take a look at this crash and tell (IYO) what happened? You can fast forward to about 6:00. I am a heli pilot by nature. This was his 2nd flight, both plane and pilot. FMS Zero 1400mm foamy.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, here's the link
http://youtu.be/Kb1q2QBiaFU

Gerald

Looks like it was too slow, tip stall and possible that the pilot moved the stick the wrong way as the plane was comming towards him, common mistake!

wolfman76

it looks like he said in the video he pulled up to hard in the turn coming in for the landing and stalled it next time throttle up a little to try n pull out of it and get it under control again was a nice looking zero... just hoping this doesnt happen to me when i get to finally maiden my redtail p-51 nitro... how bad was the damage????

Tony

Staff member
Whoever said "Wing Stall" almost had it right. In fact, it was right, but I call it a tip stall. When you went into that left hand turn, your left wing lost lift so the airplane turned to IT'S left. Which is where the ground was. When you are coming in for a landing, remember you are right on the edge of stalling the airplane. You should make your turns really large when flying slow (and with flaps, I think you had flaps on in there) and you need to use your rudder just like with a helicopter.

Use this one as a learning mistake. It happens to all of us.

Once you have made your turn and you are on final approach, lower your throttle under 25% (it will vary with each plane, I cut the throttle on my 3D planes, but I have no flaps) and bring it down slowly. Once you are about 5' off the deck, keep reducing throttle and slowly add elevator to flair and scrub off speed. Your plane will gently (or should) lower it's self to the ground.

I hope this helps and I HOPE YOUR HAPPY!!! Now I want to fly my planes hahaha.

danhampson

This is the part that scares me a little about the maiden of my wot 4. I've been simming like mad practicing landings.
Sorry to see her go in, hope there's not too much damage.

treff

Yes definitely tip stalled it in on the turn. Small model, small wing tips, very easy to do. Hope there wasn't to much damage. Good luck.
For those that do not know tip stall is when the tip of the wing stops flying in relation to the root of the wing. It stalls, then drops. If your to
close to the ground very hard to recover from. Here endeth lesson.

Last edited:

Lee

Warbirds are renowned for tip stalling.
You need to keep your speed up with these birds all the way to the ground.
Gliding them in is very tricky.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you guys, pretty much what we thought but wanted some other opinions. The damage was very minimal. Put a small crack in the left wing and broke a prop blade. The worst part was he went down in the mud so more cleaning then anything else.
Tony

cml001

Yep... Don't have to come in "hot".. But most warbirds don't glide too well.. Tip stall.

- - - Updated - - -

Good flight tho.. I like the low passes! I gotta say tho if I were asked which WWII fighter would glide the best.. I bet the zero. My biggest problem with them is nose over... Landing on grass.. Just after touchdown.. Speed tappers on the ground.. Then wham! Nose down, tail up.. Makes me soo mad!! But I do like the runway u guys have.. Good spot for park fly'n!

Stambo

After intense scrutiny of the relevant section of video (I watched it at least once) and my long experience as a fixed wing rc pilot (at least 3 weeks) I have concluded that he crashed. :p :biggrin1: :)

cml001

I like that too!!! All the terms I learn on here make me funny guy at the field! Love it!

Top Bottom