Phone & Tablet Users, What Would Help With Browsing The Forum?

Tony

Staff member
I was just checking in on some analytics for the site, and I see that desktop and laptop browsing is down, phone is up, and tablet is down. I know when I look at the site on a mobile device, I would rather use a tablet mainly because I'm old and phones are hard to read lol.

My question is, what would make it easier to browse RCH on mobile devices? Do you find yourself needing a feature that is not on there? If so, what is it? Post up and let us know how we can make mobile browsing better for everyone.

Geena

Staff member
I normally check the site from my PC at home. Mainly due to the fact that when I`m away from home, I`m either working or at the flying field. That, and like you said...I`m old, and I need an electron microscope to see websites on my phone..lol. When I do use my phone though, I have no issues with getting here or browsing the site. I just need a 20" screen on my phone.

RandyDSok

The websites that I've seen that have gone "mobile friendly" have done so to the detriment of the desktop user... Much the same way Microsoft did with Windows 8.0/8.1 . They are certainly advantageous for the mobile users. Fewer graphics ( ie metro design ) mean there is a lower data requirement to load the site. Larger fonts to make things a little easier to read on a smaller screen. Another feature are larger link/menu areas making it easier to select them with fingers and thumbs. The use of the hamburger menu ( ie the three horizontal lines ) and three dot menus that expand to show the links is also pretty common. In fact, this site does the hamburger menu for the main menu ( Articles, Forums, Members, Donate, Store, etc ) but not the secondary one just below it for a mobile device and a standard expanded menu for desktop users.

I've yet to see a site that does both desktop and mobile... or at least not done well. The reasons are pretty obvious, it'd require them to develop at least two themes for for each type and have them available for the user to select from. Twice the number of themes is twice the work ( or more in some cases ). Actually, that's wrong... it's many more than that for just two general themes because you'd also have to consider the different screen sizes since they can only be scaled so much before it doesn't work properly on a different size screen.

Let's face it... it's a very complex issue.

Tony

Staff member
It has sat in the back of my head since you and I talked Randy and when I saw the analytics it really got me thinking. Phone users are starting to use the site more and more, but tablets are falling away. I know in chrome on mobile devices you can request a desktop site which is what I use when I'm on these devices. But I realize that not everyone knows about these features and just wants the mobile version to work.

Yes, it is a little harder to make things work with mobile and a desktop site, but it can be done. It's a sign of the times and we have to roll with it, I just want some ideas on what would make it better. I am looking for a dedicated mobile theme, but there are not that many out there and the ones that are out there are quite expensive. But would still invest in them if it helps people browse the forum.

Jacob Davis

Hmmmm. I actually use mobile 99% of the time. I dont think the current format is bad but I do wish clicking on some things would be easier.

RandyDSok

I'd think that an increase of somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% to 50% increase in the size of the graphics and fonts could help the mobile users and not affect the desktop users that much. A lot of the "mobile friendly" sites have gone with a 2x-3x ( 100%-150% larger ) sizes of the elements which causes a desktop user to have to scroll a lot more ...

Of course, that doesn't exclude keeping this theme as it is and having a secondary one with increased sized elements ( at whatever percentage that seems adequate ).

Like Jacob, on my smartphone, I use Chrome also.... very seldom, but still :D

Tony

Staff member
I tried going into the back end of the site and playing with the mobile settings, but they are all hard coded into the software. No way for me to edit them. This is unfortunate...

RandyDSok

I tried going into the back end of the site and playing with the mobile settings, but they are all hard coded into the software. No way for me to edit them. This is unfortunate...

May be time to regen up ( ie copy ) the site on the subdomain again for testing purposes...

bigone5500

I'd say I use the mobile site about 25% of the time. I do like the way the mobile version handles my uploads. However, if something is acting squirrelly, then I check the box to request mobile site. Yes, I use chrome on both desktop and mobile.

Top Bottom