General Phoenix 5.5 Virus

Matt

I downloaded additional models and flying sites and I think I got a virus that eats up all my disk space? I’ve got almost zero disk space on my computer since downloading additional models and flying sites. Anyone else experience this virus with Phoenix 5.5? Am I tripping or is this legitimate? I don’t download questionable things so the only thing I can guess that caused this is Phoenix..

murankar

Staff member
If your concerned see if you can run antivirus software . If your disk space.is that critical then you may not be able to install it.

One way is to run in safe mode and see what's going on. While booting hit f8 repeatedly in till windows starts. @rdsok is the guru who knows more than I do. He may have some advise.

Matt

I don’t know if anyone else had this problem.. after I downloaded the additional models and flying sites (including the user made models and flying sites) I seem to have gotten a virus which eats up all my disk space.. I’m going to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows.. I’ve got a 150GB hard drive and about 65K of free disk space..

Quite possibly I got the virus from somewhere else too so don’t get me wrong.. not blaming Phoenix.. Phoenix is great.. love Phoenix.. anyone else have a similar problem or am I putting two and two together when I’m completely imagining something that isn’t 100% accurate?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Last I knew, they shut their servers down, this included the update server. If there is a server online for the model upgrades, I would be VERY leary of it. I just tried to go online and once again, the master server is not found.

Definitely run a virus scan to see if something is wrong. Although, 150GB is not that much space. Some of the flying sites are pretty large in file size. Some of the models as well.

If it means anything, it's time for me to do a Clean OS Install on my computers as well lol.

RandyDSok

While a malware scan isn't a bad idea... I really doubt there are any infections. I've never seen or heard of a malware that just uses up disk space either. It's more likely that non-malware causes are the culprit so... Run Disk Cleanup to get rid of old temp files, recycle bin and if there is the option, old Windows update files.

As Tony mentioned, 150Gb of drive space is pretty small, so you will want to clean out the temp files and things often so things don't get past a 20-25% free space.

Matt

150GB is not too big these days.. I had SQL Server running on my computer plus Visual Studio so it could have been anything.. I’ve reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows so I’m good for now.. just installed Real Flight 8 so looking forward to playing around with it.. plus the weather is nice up here so going to fly a couple batteries today too..

Top Bottom