450 Phoenix 2.5 Simulator...accuracy?

Hirobo.61

Hey guys, I'm a new guy to this hobby. I recently rebuilt a crashed trex 450 Plus given to me, along with a Dx6i and a PHOENIX 2.5 flight simulator. The rebuild is finished and I've spent many hours trying to learn to hover with the aforementioned simulator. I am having a very difficult time mastering the hover technique. The simulator seems to be super fast when set in the "hover training mode" at the real time 100% setting,; it seems way too fast at this setting . At 50% it seems to be accurate-compared to some real time practice hovering I have done with my 450. When the PHOENIX 2.5 is set at 50%, I can hover just fine, but no way at 75-100%. Has anyone had a similar experience with the PHOENIX 2.5? If the real time 100& setting is correct, after many hours of trying at that setting, I guess it's time to switch to planes because I simply can't respond quick enough to pitch, aileron and rudder. Yes, I have tried many different settings on my Tx and I simply can't do it. Is it possible this older simulator is jacked up? Did these early simulators have a tendency to be inaccurate vs real time?

Admiral

Start were you are comfortable and as you improve up the percentage, no flight SIM that I have tried is 100% accurate there are too many variables, I believe a flight SIM is pure and simply Brain training, teaching your fingers to respond to what you see on the screen without thinking about it.

Tony

Staff member
I have never played on 2.5. I purchased 4.x and always kept it upgraded. Right now, since Phoenix is now discontinued, 5.5.L is the latest and final version. I say all this to say, I don't know what the physics are like in 2.5 and I would try to upgrade them. Hopefully those servers are still available. If they are then Please save the files and send them to me so I can pass them on to others who need them.

Hirobo.61

Tony, my Phoenix 2.5 is not loaded online on my laptop. I tried several times to load it online but it wouldn’t load-probably because my old laptop is 9 years old-but it does have Windows 7 and even so, a computer guru tried and he could only load it offline. Is there a way I could send you the physics file with it offlline?

Tony

Staff member
Updating from 2.5, you will need another file to manually take it to 5.0. Let me see if I can find that file and I will upload it to the server so you can download it.

Tony

Staff member
This is going to take a while. This update package is 921MB in size. If you want to try it, I will start the upload now to the server, But once you download it, I will need to remove the link to save on server bandwidth since this is almost a 1GB file. Once I have my personal server and my upgraded internet up and running, I will make the file publicly available. so if you want to try it, I will put it up for you.

Tony

Staff member
Here is the file you need to update from 2.5 to 5.0.r - https://www.rc-help.com/download/Phoenix_Files/PhoenixRC_ANY_to_5.0.r_update.zip

This is a large file so if you have a slower internet connection, it will take a while to download. If you have a fast connection, it should download up to 1Gbps. When you get it downloaded, unzip the package by right clicking on the file and selecting Extract All (no need to download winzip, 7zip or any other zip, windows can handle this file itself). Once you have the files extracted you will just double left click on ManualInstaller.exe and it will walk you through installing it on your computer.

If you need any help, just ask.

Tony

Staff member
Once I get my new internet I will be downloading every file I can find on Phoenix so that we can keep this simulator alive.

murankar

Staff member
No flight sim is accurate to real life. Its close but not.

One thing you can do though is tune it to feel like the real thing. One thing to do for sure is to use a metronome while tuning the piro rate. This will take two people. Get the android/apple app for a metronome. As you piro your heli the co pilot will adjust the clicking to sink up with the tail as it is tail in. Once you get that number you can do the same thing in the sim.

Other than that its going to be slot of fiddling with numbers until it feels right to you.

Hirobo.61

Thank you for your helpful input, I am hovering with a trex 450Se at 65% speed of the “real time” setting after that I simply can ‘t react fast enough to keep the sim- heli in a controlled hover position. I’ m going to take a break for a while from the sim. And try againin a week or two. Maybe better luck then.

Top Bottom