People Locator

It would be cool for members only who want to participate to have a locator pin on a Google map of sort.
To show General location that way somebody can p.m. a member and maybe meet them in person. I know I'm desperate to learn about this Hobby and there's no one around here that I know that has any knowledge. I wish I knew someone like you or like the high quality of your members for I can soak up information like a sponge actual Hands-On. I looked at my local Flight Club I went to their auction they were supposed to have applications there was nobody there under 60 and less there was one he probably was in the bathroom cuz I missed them. The entire auction only had two helicopters it was strictly all airplanes you can tell it turns out the guy didn't bring the applications and he wasn't really enthused on the possibility of a new member. They want you to join the FAA or something like $70 a year and all these rules it's a little too much for me I don't think I'm going to go that route

Tony

Staff member
They do have an add-on like that, but for what it is, it's pretty expensive. But I know what you are saying when you would like to find someone local to you to help learn "hands on". It definitely helps out a lot when just starting out. As for the club, they were probably talking about the AMA membership that is $75 a year. The FAA, from what I understand of it, is no longer in affect, but some clubs just to be a pain are still enforcing the FAA crap. I have not and will never sign up on the FAA site because there is no security. All of the info you put into that site is publicly searchable. No thank you.

murankar

Staff member
The FAA has been shutdown in regards to hobby related activities. You are not required in any capacity to sign up with the FAA.

In fact if you payed for the FAA they are supposed to return any funds you sent in.

Any club forcing you to register then they are in the wrong. I would look for another club.

So I just read the membership rules and it says you have to be a AMA member and they strongly urge but not necessary to join the FAA uas yeah Tony was right it's the AMA

Tony

Staff member
The bad thing about the AMA (not really bad, just hurts the little guy) was the 75% increase in price they just had. It was hard enough to swallow $50 or something a year for something that no one ever uses and now that it is $75, it's just tossing money away, for me anyway. I only fly at my house. If you fly around people or at a club though, then yes, it is worth it to a point.

I fly around my house too I was just hoping to meet some helicopter guys to learn some old-school tricks but I went to some of their functions and their 98% airplane guys and they're all over 60 LOL

Tony

Staff member
I completely understand that. Goes back to the old saying, you gotta pay to play. Everything needs to get cheap again lol.

I fly around my house also I wanted to go to a club to maybe meet some helicopter guys and learn some old-school tricks but they're 98% airplane guys and all over 60 I went to one of their functions LOL

murankar

Staff member
YEah the AMA practically rolled over and let the FAA scratch their belly. The FAA stuff is only for comercial flying, anything that you get paid for. Yes youtube monitzation is comercial flying. So in order to fly with FAA issues then it has to be royalty and gift free.

Top Bottom