Projects p-51d mustang redtails build

wolfman76

Ok here is what i have gotten of the build so far...
here is part two mods to landing gear mods...
tell me what you think or any other mods or adjustments i can make you advice is greatly appreciated...

TO BE CONTINUED.......

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfman76

yeah now that i have actually had time to work on it... I am going to install the retract servo tonight and try to get the links for it atleast in place have to trim out and recess the retracts a lil mor so the robart struts will close flush when retracts are up...slowly but surely i will get it together but like i said in video i have to get the tx working before i cane make any final servo adjustments... Maybe next i will tackle installing the throttle tube n rod,and then motor mount n engine

Tony

Staff member
If you want, you can send that Tx to me and I will take a look at it. I'm thinking it may be something simple, or it may be something that only Horizon can fix or replace. But I won't know until I can actually see it.

wolfman76

yeah was think that but i am going to look at it real quick before i do c if it sumthin i just overlooked... I think it be round 10 bucks to ship to you if i do that...

wolfman76

well here is a very short pt.3 video but this plane is gonna be iice when it is done
- - - Updated - - -

hey tony did you know your name is showing up as y not in forum and i checked the measurements of wing tip to fuse on both sides even though it does'nt look it it is an even 29 1/2"s both sides... even wingtip to tail on both sides are even it looks way off looking at it though..but everything measures out A OK

wolfman76

yeah i think i am going to bite the bullet and just send the tx to horizon and have them look at it so i can get a deff answer as to wether anything is wrong with it and if so what it is...

Tony

Staff member
I'm telling you, post up a good picture of it. If it shrinks it down too much let me know and I will raise the size so I can see some detail. Maybe you are just over lookign something and you don't need to spend all of that money on shipping. POST IT!!! :biggrin1:

wolfman76

YEAH!!!!!!! i finally got the drill bit and tap so i can drill and tap set screw holes for the struts although on 1 strut 1 of the set screw holes got a lil f.u.b.a.r.e.d drill bit kicked sideways on me and and gouged into it but there is atleast 1 good 1 though so i think we still all good.. will be mounted retracts tonight and adjusting them as needed to make sure they are true n straight... after that i think it is time to get the engine mounts and engine installed along with the fuel tank well temp fuel tank till i can order the roto flow fuel tank...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah tony not sure if i ever told you but here is a link to an online hobby store that pretty much has everything on it Hobbylinc.com - Discount Hobbies up to 60% off
they seemed to have same prices as my local hobbyshop and my local hobby shop has real good prices on everything

Last edited:

wolfman76

Did some more work on the p-51 yesterday not much just redid some of the paint job added the pilot.

ForumRunner_20130610_022514.png

Have the cowl masked of with liquid mask but not repainted yet will do that next it is all red right now but will be changed to mostly silver with olive drab on hood area and very little bit of red on nose also painted spinner red so now i will have to start studying how to flip start this bird as to not damage paint job on spinner...
Next i will be installing the elevator and trying to get the tail wheel and rudder installed...

TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!!!!

ForumRunner_20130610_022514.png

Tony

Staff member
A year later (exactly) and the plane is still not done. We need to light a fire under this one, I want to see this plane in the air!

wolfman76

Here is the Cowling starting to look like a red tail

ForumRunner_20130610_200722.png

Now to try and install the elevator and rudder.

ForumRunner_20130610_200722.png

wolfman76

Here is the spinner

ForumRunner_20130610_201317.png

Was just plain machined aluminum which means i will probably have to make or get a chicken stick to flip start this bird now a not to destroy paint on spinner when starting..

ForumRunner_20130610_201317.png

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Love the P-51...mine is still hanging on the wall. I think I have to much birds to fly. you got to try the eraze...for a fun fly. added a 3s and a 6x5.5 prop, this thing is crazy fast

wolfman76

been trying to get it done here is my next dilemma mounting the fuel tank here is a video of my question...
Hopefully eric G&G will have the o.s. muffler at his house that will fit it otherwise a cheep one will cost me bout 60 which i don't really have right now but if he does have it will cost me 30 after that i just have to finish putting it together hopefully in couple weeks it will be together buddy of mine that flies at KICKAPOO WOODS home of the chicago model masters wants to have it flying by the for their big bird fly in... time will tell have the fuel and everytyhing else just got to finish it...

wolfman76

Ok here its the tank and the clunker inside. Is the clunker to far from the corner is about half inch from corner...

ForumRunner_20130719_212245.png

ForumRunner_20130719_212245.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom