Prop P-51 gets an upgrade.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well I got a little ambitious last night! I've had these two servos in my workbench for the last two years. I bought them to install in my p-51 for flap servos. Last night following some of Tony's advice, I bound my dx8 to my p-51. Then the ambitious part come in. I removed the flap locks that came not the plane. It's the hanger 9 PTS model. Installed the servos onto the servo covers. The glue should be dried by now. So I'll go take a few pics and post them up. Maybe going to the flying field and giving her a go this weekend.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well she is all done! I might have to adjust the servo travel a bit though. I'm not sure just how far to put the flaps down. I programmed then to the flap switch witch is a 3 position switch. My dx6i has only 2 position switches on it. Here are the pics!

Right flap.
image.jpg

Left flap.
image.jpg

Flaps up.
image.jpg

Flaps middle.
image.jpg

Flaps down.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Those settings look like about what I would have done. This way, you can get it up in the air and start like you are coming in for a landing, and apply flaps. If you have not done it yet, slow the speed of the flaps down to about 2-3 seconds. This will keep it from flaring. Also, be sure to add just a touch of elevator to the flaps as well. Up elevator that is, or like you are pulling back on the stick. With full flaps, you are going to need 6-8% elevator to keep the nose up. Pretty much puts the plane in high alpha.

We need video!

Tony

Staff member
I know how you feel. I moved my bedroom around the other day and I'm still having trouble walking. Sucks lol.

Top Bottom