Motors Outrunner Motor Model Numbers

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I am just wondering if anyone can give some insight as to what the out runner motor's first set of numbers mean???

Example: Scorpion HKIII 4035-560. The 560 refers to the kv or RPM per 1 volt. I get that and how to use it to find my head speed and select a motor. However, what does 4035 refer to and is it/should it be a consideration when selecting the right motor?

Lee

On Scorpion motors, it refers to the dimensions of the motor Stator. 40mm Stator diameter and 35mm Stator thickness. The helicopter you are using will specify the correct motor size.
These numbers only relate to Scorpion motors.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Hmmmm....okay. So, you need to look at the helicopters specs to find out the dimensional size that will fit in the heli and then look at the motor specs and make sure the motor is within those size limits, barring wanting to modify the motor mount, etc. With Scorpion you can get a good idea of whether the motor will fit in the bird by looking at the model number but it really boils down to matching the KV with head speed and pinion/gear ratio and which type of battery is recommended for use.

That being said, it sounds like you could put a smaller size motor in a heli but that has the KV that will give you your head speed given the pinion size and gear ratio. However, you also need to consider heat generated by the motor.

Really, it appears stator size is informational in the grand scheme of sizing a motor to your bird.....yes???

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I have the Scorpion 4035-560 all ready to go in the 630. In fact I am going to do a test spool up this weekend, weather permitting, and then do a full final check of all the parts. A good friend of mine wants to be at my maiden with the video camera and I think he is busy this weekend or I would maiden the Gobby.

My question was more general in nature.

I want to build another one and I wanted to know a little more about the motors. This time I think I am going to buy the airframe first or obtain the manual and match and purchase the components per the manual. With the 630 I basically researched other pilots flying types and setups and then matched their setup. I did look into the specs to make sure the electronics would work together but I know much more this time and I think I can match components a little better to my flying style.

Tony

Staff member
Lee, isn't that for the stator length and diameter? That is the way that I have always read it. so a 4035 would be 40mm length and 35mm diameter.

Tony

Staff member
Right, they are saying thickness is the length as I was describing it. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other lmao. ,

Top Bottom