Servos OT payed off

murankar

Staff member
I managed to squeeze out some copious amounts of overtime. What that means is a new purchase of some BK servos for the Gaui X3. I got 3 of the 3001's and 1 5001 tail servo. Helidirect has a combo pack that is well worth the discounted price. Finally the X3 is no longer running okay stuff. I now have a fully equipped top shelf kit. Flying should be fun and durable.

Smoggie

Nice! It makes the hard work easier to bear when you have an objective in mind. A few weeks ago i spent some time working offshore in the North Sea and that was a lot easier to take because i bought myself a KDS Agile 7.2 on the proceeds... a used one but even so, a nice reward.

murankar

Staff member
I got a couple other things too. A second set of zeal 360mm mains and 68mm zeal tails plus three pinions.

- - - Updated - - -

Working for a mission makes it easier to do. Oh shoot almost forgot to sign up for next week.

murankar

Staff member
So I went to http://www.bkdesignsllc.com I want to get an idea of what maintenance is going to cost. What I found out is that the gear sets for the 3001 servos (cyclic for 380 size heli) is running about $12 a set. The servo horns for the same servo is about $6.00 for 15 horns, get 3 of each style of horn. Thats enough for 3 repairs for each servo. The BK 5005 is going to be a bit more, the gear set is $24 and the horns are not listed on the site. Whats the deal with BK Servos? here are the specs for what I ordered (I payed roughly $280 for the combo pack which comes with the DS 5005HV):

DS 3001 HV ($64 if bought individually)

• Operation Voltage: 6 - 8V
  • Weight: 20g (0.71oz)
  • Dimensions: 12x23x27 mm
  • Frequency: 1520us/333hz
  • Gear Type: Metal
  • Motor Type: Coreless
  • Speed: 0.09 sec/60 @5V | 0.07 sec/60 @6V | 0.06 sec/60 @7.4V
  • Torque: 3.68 kg.cm (51.1 oz.in) @5V | 4.7 kg.cm (65.3 oz.in) @6V | 5.8 kg.cm (80.5 oz.in) @7.4V

DS 5005 HV ($90 if bought alone)

• Operation Voltage: 6 - 8.4V
  • Weight: 44g (1.5oz)
  • Dimensions: 15x35x32 mm
  • Frequency: 760us/333hz
  • Speed: 0.04 sec/60 @6V | 0.035 sec/60 @7.4V | 0.03 sec/60 @8.4V
  • Torque: 4.16 kg.cm (57.7 oz.in) @6V | 5 kg.cm (69.4 oz.in) @7.4V | 5.5 kg.cm (76.34 oz.in) @8.4V

If you would like to look at a cheaper tail servo there is this:
DS 3005HV ($64 if bought individually)

• Operation Voltage: 6 - 8V
  • Weight: 20g (0.71oz)
  • Dimensions: 12x23x27 mm
  • Frequency: 760us/333hz
  • Speed: 0.06 sec/60 @5V | 0.05 sec/60 @6V | 0.04 sec/60 @7.4V
  • Torque: 2.4 kg.cm (33.3 oz.in) @4.8V | 3.1 kg.cm (43.0 oz.in) @6V | 3.5 kg.cm (48.6 oz.in) @7.4V
clear1x1.gif
Lastly these servos were specked by Bert Kammerer and what he wanted to have in a servo. How this happened was a servo maker came to him with the idea of him designing or giving input for what he wanted. The company took that info and created what id known as the BK servo. You can here how this got started on RC Heli Nation. Not sure what episode it was on but he was interviewed and then explained how the process went down. I cant wait to actually try these things. I have wanting to get my servo voltage up over the obligatory 4 volts. I have been wanting to see how higher voltage effects the performance of a heli while flying. I have heard that these things make the heli feel even more connected. What I wont do is tell everyone the KST is a bad servo. In most respects the KST brand is not all that bad considering what you will pay and the performance you get from them. Will KST servos win Heli Masters or the Zone; of course not but then again I dont think any of us on here are in a position to fly those competitions. All I can say in the end if you can afford the best get it, if not get the best you can afford. I had to work almost 20 hours of OT to get these bad boys. To me that was worth it. It has taken me 4 years to get what I have as of right now. I will expand on this in another post shortly.

Okay the RCHN Episode for the Bert Kammerer inter view that explains how the BK Servo came to be: Episode 143 Bert Kammerer is Back.

Here is the blog post:
RC-Help.com
clear1x1.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom