500 Optimal swash mix

zenmetsu

Any idea as to the desired travel ranges on the cyclic for a T-Rex 500? I have +/- 12º on collective as prescribed, but not sure about elevator and aileron. Right now I have +/- 7º of pitch control for aileron and elevator, but I do not know what the optimum amount is, or the amount that will end up causing binding. What is the best way to test for binding, just throw the cyclic more and more towards the corner while rotating the autorotation gear and feeling for resistance?

I will be going to FBL in a while, the FBL unit that I have will limit travel so as to prevent maxing out aileron and elevator simultaneously, but until then I just want to make certain that I don't detonate my head by going too far along the cyclic diagonals.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess stalling would be another matter. These are symmetrical blades, and as I have it now, I can expect a maximum of almost 20º of pitch. Most airfoils produce the most lift around 15-20º, but not sure about symmetrical foils. Time for more research I guess. :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yeah you'll have to so some more research. As a rule of thumb 8degrees is good. You shouldn't have to worry about it after that until you go smack. You never are going to go full 8 degrees cuclic anywaz.. How many times do you run at full collective with full cyclics...? It's very very rare. I have been told in multiple scenarios that just prevent binding at full elevator aileron and collective movement up and down. And call it a day.

But might change... Manufacturer usually (USUALLY) takes care of this in design... But that's how I do it.. My 600.. I never measure cyclic pitches. I let it go as far as it can without binding. And if its too much I would use d/r.. Which I haven't had to yet :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

zenmetsu

Thanks for the input. part of the issue is at maximum collective, positive or negative, the blade pitch will be a combination of collective and cyclic, so you have to measure it and test for binding at the extremes.

The concern with FBL units is just like the tail gyro, it doesn't matter what you set in the transmitter, if the travel endpoints are not set on the gyro correctly, it could easily bind without pilot input. I guess I can worry about this stuff later when I start doing more with my helicopters than just blowing leaves around and draining battery packs. :lmao:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
hahah.. true.. the FBL units .. atleast I know 3GX and beast let you define the cyclic limits.. and that keeps them in check..

in 3GX you would do that in your DIR menu.. And in BeastX there is I think the Menu Item H or K.. i think.. but thats where you can set cyclic limits.. without bind. :)

Tony

Staff member
If you are running v1.2 on the 3GX, it states 10º of cyclic with 12º collective. If you are using v2.1, then the collective is teh same, but the cyclic is 8º.

Since you are running a flybar'd head, set it somewhere between 7-10º and you will be fine. You just have to set it where you feel it flies the best and you can control it best.

Lee

On Beast X it has a menu saying to set it to 6º cyclic pitch.
As you said just give full collective and cyclic, turn the head by hand and feel for any binding issues.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yeah there are two plces for that. 6degress is menu item J just fr geometry.. Then the next item is I think cyclic limit which really defines how much. That's where I just do Max max..

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Top Bottom