500 opinion on the 500 size from HK needed........

PYNES1664

Hi Guys,

I fancy a step up from the 450 size wise and have been looking at the 500 size 500 on the basis that the 450GT is simply lovely to fly - Iv'e seen mine 3D'd by a display pilot who flies at my club and he was totally blown away by just how good it was considereing the small *budget* that it was built on.

Iv'e researched the 500 size on the net and came up with a very mixed bag of opinions ranging from great to positively dangerous! I'm aware that there will always be the clone bashers/align fan boys that will not have a good word to say about a clone so I need an opinion from you guys that are probably WAY more impartial and hopefully own and have experience of what I'm looking at.

I'm considering either:

The HK 500GT:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9975__HK_500GT_3D_Electric_Helicopter_Kit_incl_blades_and_extras_.html

the 500GT (TT) but I don't know what Torque Tube means/is)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14861__HK_500GT_TT_3D_Torque_Tube_Electric_Helicopter_Kit_incl_GF_blades_and_extras_.html

the 500CMT

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11445__HK_500CMT_3D_Electric_Helicopter_Kit_incl_GF_blades_and_extras_.html

I don't do 3D (at least not with a Heli - yet) so it'll be sport flying only for the time being, if that alters opinions..lol

All opionions and advice most greatfully received!

cheers

Rich

Tony

Staff member
If you get the HK500GT, then you will have to replace the plastic mixing and washout arms with metal ones. I have owned this helicopter, and you can read my thread on all of the headaches I have had with that helicopter. I have since sold it, but not until I replaced the blades with CF, Align dampers in the head with a sleeve, align feathering shaft, align mixing and washout arms, align flybar paddles, align skids, and align tail blades. I also replaced that crappy canopy with a fiberclass one from EXI. wait, the mixing and washout arms may have been EXI as well, not sure.

What I'm getting at is, do not get the GT, period. It has a plastic tail and metal frame. Get the CMT. It's a full carbon fiber frame with a metal tail and full metal head. YOu will spend less in the long run.

The ones that have purchased the CMT have loved it, and said they didn't have to replace anything. But, I would still replace the dampers in teh head, and get the sleeve. Lee will be able to point you in a good direction on Align dealers over there if you are not familiar with them.

As for the TT (Torque Tube), that gets rid of the belt drive, and it's now done by gears, and a metail (aluminum... Wait, you are in the UK, aluminimum I think hehe). If you are anything less than a 3D pilot, there is no need. The slightest touch on the ground, and you are replacing gears. The belt does have more loss due to drag, but you will never notice it at the sport level. My advice is to stick with the belt. YOu can always order just the TT tail later if you wish for about $30 I think. Hope this helps.

PYNES1664

Hey Tony,

thank you very much for a very precise answer, that was EXACTLY what i needed to know :) the CMT it is then! I vaguely remembered you writing about the GT being slightly questionable but couldn't find the post/thread so sorry for that.

I think i'll stick with belt drive after that explaination too...lol

cheers bud

Rich

Lee

Hey Rich,
If you are going with HK, I would def get the CMT. Another option is the CopterX 500 from Hobby Daddy. I didn't have to change anything on it. It flew perfect, until i crashed it :D I have two of there kits, belt and torque tube. One kit had a slight defect on one of the frames, nothing a bit of sandpaper couldn't fix. They sent me a new frame anyway. Check it out.
CopterX CX 500SE V2 Kit HobbyDaddy Store

PYNES1664

Thanks Lee, I thought about the copterX 500 as I'd heard good things about them.

thanks bud i'l revissit that thought then!

cheers

Rich

Lee

Just flew mine tonight, Unfortunately i forgot to strap the battery in !!!!! went inverted and the battery hit the canopy and the canopy hit the flybar!!!! Result bent flybar and trashed canopy. But on a good not i did an inverted autorotation and landed smoothly with the bent flybar. Very pleased with myself :D

Top Bottom