Quad OOPS!! It broke :(

Stambo

I was flying my quad by FPV, had my FPV receiver sitting on my deck and watching the video signal on my plasma. Did a couple of short runs between the house and my barn and all was going well until I overshot the house. Lost video and control, they don't work well through an iron roof. By the time I got outside it was too late. Quad was down in my neighbours front yard. You can see the results in the pic. :(

image.jpg

My kk2 LCD is broken but it still works and was set up pretty well so I will keep using it.
I have ordered new frames from banggood but I can't wait for them to arrive. I have also ordered motors and speed controllers to go back on the X quad.
I have just finished building the frame for an H quad and will transfer everything to it over the next few days. I will fly again soon. :)

image.jpg

Lee

5.8 GHz looses signal very easily through objects. I'm thinking to change to 1.3

Stambo

It was a bit stupid of me to do what I was doing as I am full of the flu and not thinking straight.
It did not even cross my mind that I would lose video or control until it was too late.
Once I realised what had happened, if I had been thinking straight, I may have got out the door quick enough to recover.
Lesson learnt, don't fly when sick. :)
The rebuild may have to include a receiver with failsafe capability so that at least I could set it to level off and slowly descend.
H quad is well on the way, frame built, electrics being installed. I will fly it tomorrow. :)

Karubah

Wack a naza on it.it will only cost more $$$ .lol. Not a good feeling when you first see your machine after an unscedualed landing..

Stambo

Wack a naza on it.it will only cost more $$$ .lol. Not a good feeling when you first see your machine after an unscedualed landing..

Naza took a friends one away the other day. We found it luckily but the GPS rth took it away instead of bringing it back.
It was almost as broken as mine. It tried to land in a tree top.
He has totally lost confidence in the naza.

On a brighter note I now have a working H quad. Still a bit of finishing to do but it flies.
I have done a little test hop inside and got it off the floor.
Tomorrow will tell when I take it outside.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
Pics work fine for me... sorry about the crash... that new one your building looks good, can't wait to see it running.

Stambo

This is the first flight of my home built H quad.
I built this so I could still fly after crashing my X quad rather spectacularly.
The motors, ESCs and receiver all survived the crash but the KK2 flight control board no longer has a working LCD so I have to make do with the settings already there.
This will probably fly much better once I get another KK2 and can change some settings.
and I may also try some SimonK flashed speed controllers.
Although I have ordered another X frame and motors so they might go on that.
Sorry about the poor audio.
I built this Friday afternoon/evening and was flying it Saturday morning. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Karubah

Good job for a quick build and nice flying.. Looks like your a Brock fan as well Stambo. ( 05 ) .lol

Stambo

Good job for a quick build and nice flying.. Looks like your a Brock fan as well Stambo. ( 05 ) .lol

Brock fan for sure. The man was a legend.
I grew up watching him do his magic in Australia and NZ.
But he did a lot that people never new about too.
He should receive a posthumous knighthood.
RIP "SIR PETER BROCK"
I honestly teared up when I heard the sad news.

Stambo

Ok now I'm annoyed. So annoyed I didn't even think to take pictures.
I was flying the H around last night, on my third battery after installing a new KK2 and starting to come to grips with how different it is than the X.
Last battery was at about 8 minutes so it was near time to land, although the lipo beeper hadn't gone yet.
Hovering around, about to land so only about 2 meters up when the right rear prop just stopped.
Needless to say the flight ended rather abruptly with a quad upside down on the ground.
I have 1 prop broken and 3 with stress marks on them. Also one motor that came off it's cable tie mount.
Luckily the Hobbyking order that arrived the other day had 4 sets of props in it.
I put it all back together and spun it up and everything seems to work fine but I will replace the RR motor and ESC just in case.
I have checked all the connections more than once and as an auto tech with years of auto electrical experience I know my solder joints are good.
At present it is a mystery as to what caused the problem but at least I know it was not me.
Oh well, back to the workshop (kitchen table). :).
I will fly again tomorrow.
Maybe I'll have a buzz around with the V949 and tonight put up some vids of that.

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
GULP!.... sorry, must have rusted off a bolt while you wasn't looking. Hope everything is all right now, and that nothing else will happen.

Stambo

GULP!.... sorry, must have rusted off a bolt while you wasn't looking. Hope everything is all right now, and that nothing else will happen.

No bolts to rust.
I intend to replace the motor and ESC on that corner just to be safe and then tie it on a half meter string and stress test it for a few batteries to see what happens. At least then if if it fails it doesn't have far to drop.
Just gonna take a while before I trust it enough to put the camera on it.
I wouldn't mind so much if it was operator error.
Then at least I would know the cause.
Right now it's a mystery and that bugs me.

Last edited:

Stambo

Lol, good old Davy Crocket.
I vaguely remember watching him on a black and white TV as a kid.
My parents used to love it. :)

Top Bottom