Projects On/off Switch

1aviator

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this ON/OFF push button switch? It has two lights on the switch next to the push button. On-Off Switch.jpg I've recently acquired an Old Timer and it was equipped with this switch and an old JR receiver in 72mhz. I've swapped out the JR for a Futaba 72 and get the rudder and elevator servos to work perfectly but get no joy when it comes to power to the motor. I have the red power light and a blue light that will blink when power is applied but all I get is a tone from the plane when I advance the throttle to full or back to idle similar to what you might get when in calibration mode.
Any Ideas here??

Tony

Staff member
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I always try to stay away from push button switches because in some cases, the latch that holds them down can fail and turn the plane off in flight due to vibrations. Likely? no. But there is that chance. What I like to use is the good ole rocker switch, or a slider switch. I don't like toggle switches either for the same reason as the push. But if you are wanting to use this switch, we will need some kind of wiring diagram, or pinout so that we can help further.

As for not getting power to the motor, you said you went from JR to Futaba. Futaba uses a reversed throttle. Please take the prop off before testing this. Reverse your throttle. Right now your ESC is likely seeing a high throttle signal when it is expecting a low throttle signal causing it to go into program mode. I can't stress enough to take the prop off when doing this kind of work. I have seen too many people get hurt on here when the plane all of a sudden comes alive.

Let us know how it goes, and post up some pictures of the bird.

1aviator

Thank you for your reply... First thing is that the prop has been removed... did that before I attempted to do anything for obvious reasons. I've tried reversing the throttle but no Joy. I have a couple of good Futaba 2.4 Receivers that I can use but was trying to resurrect the plane the way it had been built by someone but I'm guessing I'll have to just add a new power system (motor/ESC with a 2.4 receiver) with a different
On/Off Switch.
I'll post a couple of photos once I've changed the components... maybe a couple of weeks.... It's summer time and the Flying is great.
Thanks Again.

Tony

Staff member
Wait, were you trying to use the JR receiver? If so, then that will not work. Futaba can't bind with JR. You will need to use your Futaba receiver to connect.

1aviator

The Plane originally came with a JR Receiver and as I fly only Futaba, the first thing I did was change out the receiver to Futaba. This old timer is powered by an old, geared, brushed motor and I have no Idea what
ESC is on board. This plane was built, I believe in the early 90's so who knows??? Just trying to get to work without a change of the entire power system but it looks like that's where I'm headed.August 1st Old Timer  (6).jpg
It looks like it originally had a standard on/off switch but was changed at some point by someone to the PUSH ON/OFF switch. Cool little plane and only weighs 15.7 oz.

Thanks for you input.

Geena

Staff member
I can`t speak for that switch, but most of the switches I have used will default to the on position if they fail. Most of the airplane guys I fly with use an arming switch to turn their planes on and off, which seems to work well. I have been using Gryphon flag pin switches on all of my nitro helicopters for years, with no issues. As a matter of fact, the one that`s on my NX7, is about 8 years old, and still going strong.

Top Bottom